• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rexes

bunny-mad

Mama Doe
I have always been a real sucker for lops, but there's a pair of rexes of the Bobtails site and they are truly beautiful:

http://www.bobtailsrescue.org.uk/adopt_rabbit.asp

Is it wrong to want another pair when you already have two pairs??? I was going to foster when I got back from holiday in March, now I'm actually thinking about getting another pair. Only thing is I can't afford to have any more rabbits with dental problems... :( :(

Maybe I should just foster? I don't know what to do :?

There are some beautiful buns on that site aren't there? Have a look at Toffee and Fudge, they're almost doubles for Mack and Mabel http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=36860!

bunny-mad said:
Only thing is I can't afford to have any more rabbits with dental problems... :( :(

I got Gypsy from Bobtails when I was looking for a new partner for Alfie after Jasper died from teeth related issues. I explainned to Delia I didn't want to take on another bun with teeth problems and she explained that all their buns are checked for that and gave me the option of a couple with great teeth to choose from. If you're interested I'd suggest talking to Delia, it wouldn't surprise me if they'd had a teeth check and Delia can tell you exactly what condition they're in. At three years any problems should be apparent :)

Tam

There are other chronic health issues that can effect older Buns aswell as dental problems. I would therefore strongly advise that you take out insurance for the Buns if you do adopt them and are not in a position to afford lots of additional Veterinary Bills. Good Luck :D

Janex

If you really want them, I'd adopt them rather than fostering, as you may well end up keeping your foster bun anyway! The little rexes are lovely, those 4 semi wild babies .. OMG :love: X

bunny-mad said:
That's reassuring Tamsin, thanks :) Does anyone know if rexes as a breed are prone to any specific ailments? ht

My vet said rexes are less likely to get serious dental problems as their skulls are more similar to wild bunnys I.e. not as squashed up like lops and nethies, and so teeth are better formed. However I was told by a rescuer that as soon as a rex gets ill they'r more likely to go down hill unllike other breeds.

Who knows. Best person to ask in Jane but then every bunny is different.

Shiv

They do suffer more than most with sore hocks and also sensitive tum`s, I have a rex Mia and she came from Jane dexter as I`m fostering her and was told about her hocks, I keep a very careful eye on them and have soft bedding in the shed and rubber mats and a towel in the run, and she has been ok, I do if required put sudocream on them. Jane told me that pile cream is also very good :D :D

I adopted Florence from Bobtails back in May I found Delia very helpful, I was unlucky that she passed away in August from GI statis, I would recommend having rex`s they are great just need to be a bit more in tune with them than most other rabbits.

But the person to ask is Jacks-Jane the Rex expert.

Mandy

I don't think you can really guess what problems you could be in for by the breed. Expecially if you don't know the genetic history or family line.
I think all you can do is be prepared. Like jane said, get insurance or else just put aside some money each month to cover the unexpected.
And I don't think it is wrong to want another pair if you already have two pairs! I have two pairs and a foursome and am working on the next pair as we speak :D :lol: So long as you think you can reasonably provide for their needs then go for it!

ShivyRex said:
bunny-mad said:
That's reassuring Tamsin, thanks :) Does anyone know if rexes as a breed are prone to any specific ailments? ht

My vet said rexes are less likely to get serious dental problems as their skulls are more similar to wild bunnys I.e. not as squashed up like lops and nethies, and so teeth are better formed. However I was told by a rescuer that as soon as a rex gets ill they'r more likely to go down hill unllike other breeds. Shiv

I had heard this too Shiv.

I felt really bad saying it too bunny-mad, but when I adopted my last bun Rowan that was the one thing I specified to the rescue- no dental or pre exisitng health problems. I just found it very difficult financially and emotionally looking after my previous sick bunns, and although Id obviously pay whatever it takes to keep any of my animals well, I couldnt take on any which I knew from the outset may cost a lot as I am not earning very much.

As it turns out though, my poor boy Rowan became ill with GI stasis two months after I adopted him and died :cry:

I have absolutely no scientific proof but in my experience Rexes do have a more delicate GI tract than other Rabbits, So EXTRA care re diet is needed. For example my Rexes NEVER get any cabbage type Veg or 'sweet treats' including fruit and I am very careful when feeding them Carrots. If I have a Rex bonded with a Non Rex I am extremely vigilant re removing excess fur from the non Rex to prevent the Rex ingesting too much when grooming the non Rex

Some Rexes, particularly Orange, are prone to poor vision. This can lead to behavioural issues (fear aggression)

As previously mentioned, sore hocks are very common. Once established this is usually a chronic condition needing daily management (soft bedding, approprite cream/ointments, pain relief and if skin breaks down systemic antibiotics)

Rexes are wonderful Bunnies :D

Janex

My rex,Floss, has no problem with her digestion thank goodness and copes fine with the same veg as Bournville, but her immune sytem is definately less robust than his. Her sore hocks and paws were a problem but the condition had been accerbated by her poor living conditions before she was taken in by RSPCA. The living area of the hutch has a vinyl tiled floor covered by vetbed and she is on grass between 8.30 am-5pm every day. The lower part of the hutch is on the concrete patio and I've a feeling that the time split between the hard and soft surfaces has possibly helped toughen the skin as well. What do you think?

Jack's-Jane said:
I have absolutely no scientific proof but in my experience Rexes do have a more delicate GI tract than other Rabbits, So EXTRA care re diet is needed. For example my Rexes NEVER get any cabbage type Veg or 'sweet treats' including fruit and I am very careful when feeding them Carrots. If I have a Rex bonded with a Non Rex I am extremely vigilant re removing excess fur from the non Rex to prevent the Rex ingesting too much when grooming the non Rex

Some Rexes, particularly Orange, are prone to poor vision. This can lead to behavioural issues (fear aggression)

As previously mentioned, sore hocks are very common. Once established this is usually a chronic condition needing daily management (soft bedding, approprite cream/ointments, pain relief and if skin breaks down systemic antibiotics)

Rexes are wonderful Bunnies :D

Janex

I have a friend whose rex died a few hours after going into stasis and developing bloat. It was such a shock to her as she didnt expect him to deteriorate so quickly (he was rushed to the vets immediatley too.)

Binky Free Bobby.

Yeah, Lenny was very dramatic when he had bloat, really went down hill quickly but fortunately saw a good vet and pulled through quickly. Otherwise I treat them as any other bun. The four boys live with nine other rabbits of varying size, shape and colour and the only thing I've noticed with the boys is that if a white bun molts the white hair sticks to their coats! :lol:

Back