• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dandelion sick - He's home!!

Suzanne

Mama Doe
Dandelion didn't want his breakie this morning and was looking very sorry for himself. :( Vet says he has a full tum but there seems to be something hard in there. She thinks it could be a fur ball. He's been given some painkiller and a gut mobility drug. We have to syringe him pineapple juice every hour. She told us not to syringe feed him as his tum is full. He has to go back tomo but if it's not cleared he needs an xray to see whats stopping him passing anything. We've brought him and Florence in from the shed.

Is there anything more we could do? Could it be something other than a fur ball? He looks so poorly :(

Oh dear :cry:

Has he poo'd at all today? If he will hop about a bit that may help get his tum going.
Not sure why Vet gave Metoclopromide if he/she felt a solid mass... :?
I would keep the fluids going, keep him warm. I would normally advise tummy rubs but tbh the mention of a hard mass makes me think it might not be a good idea :?
I hope Dandelion soon feels better

Janex

I would make sure he is drinking enough, if it is a hairball you need to keep it hydrated so it can pass, try giving him some pineapple juice, that might help.

Thanks.
He hasn't done any poos all day. He's just had a drink of water, now I'm going to give him some more juice and encourage him to move around a bit. He was fine last night when he went to bed and he didn't have anything different to eat. :(

What a worry for you. Poor bun, hope things start moving and he perks up. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks. Been doing some research on his condition. Off to give him some more juice and water. Really worried about going to bed incase he's not there when i wake up. :( He's back at the vets in the morning.

Our vet really annoyed us - well the receptionist really. They don't seem to understand that people work and they only have appointments that we can't make. We had to argue to take him in at 8.30am and leave him there til his appointment at 10.00am and then pick him up at lunch. i feel really bad doing this but we can't take anymore time off work.

If you can't stay up with him, set your alarm for a couple of hours time to check on him :wink: or sleep on the sofa?

Hope things go ok tomorrow at the vets.

How is he? Did the vet do an xray to get a better look at the mass? Like Jane, I'm concerned that he prescribed gut motility drugs if he suspected a blockage.

Hydration should help, and gas meds might be worth a try. If nothing else they might relieve some discomfort. Warmth can help make him more comfortable too. If you don't have a snugglesafe, you could warm up a towel for him or put dry rice in a sock and warm it in the microwave.

Hope he's okay!

It's not looking too good :( Dropped him at the vets this morning and he's on a drip to get some fluids into him. He's still not passed anything. :( They are going to do an xray this afternoon to get a better idea of what the blockage is. If he doesn't pass anything then they've mentioned surgery. Not too sure if I want this for him. :( We'll know more once I pick him up after work.

Hope dandilion is feeling better soon.
Bobby had a small blockage recently, and after the gut motility drugs etc, he was given some liquid parafin, which sorted him out. I don't know how apporpriate this is for a large blockage though.
Squidgy also ahd to spend a week in hospital when he first came to us. He had a blockage, and ultimately was and is fine as we had a great vet! There's still plenty that can be done for him.

The vet did the x-ray and there was no blockage but he did have full bladder from all the pineapple juice we'd been giving him. He's suffering from stasis which is what we told the vet we thought it was in the beginning but she thought there was this blockage. He's been kept in the vets overnight for more feeding and will be in all day tomo. Hopefully he might be well enough to come home tomo night. Florence is missing him so much :(

Sending lots of vibes to your boy and little Florence who is missing him. I know the vet might have covered this but have his teeth been examined. A good few times that mines have gone off their food it has been spikes on the molars. Just a thought.

Fiona x

Well at least he has not obstructed which really would have been very bad news
Hopefully with all the right meds and fluid therapy he will improve throughout the day.
Sending get well vibes

Janex

Dande's spending his second night at the vets :( I went to see him and while I was there he did his first poo :D - strange shape and full of fur- hope it's the first of many!! He's been naughty and pulled his cathata (sp) out for the third time! Hopefully he can come home tomorrow. :D

I need to think about prevention of fur build up as he grooms alot. I heard about Papaya tablets - do these work? How do others prevent this?

Back