• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

U/D on Smudge and Grace, advice needed....

TheGaffer

Mama Doe
Oh god what a xmas and new year this has been...

Smudge,

I posted last week about her being attacked by Moonshine or Flopsy, well she's recovered from her surgery quite well, eating, drinking, pooing ok. Been for her check up today, and the vet's concerned that she's still quite swollen, didn't want to give her anything just said to finish the course of antibiotics. He want's to see her again next monday to check it.

So Smudge is obviously now a lone bun, is it wise to try to rebond her with Moonshine and Flopsy? Does anyone have any experience of rebonding after a fight? I think we may try to bond her with Grace now though.

I think the fight was mostly caused by Smudge needing spaying cos she had started humping the others only a week or so before and we'd planned to have her spayed at the end of the month(she'd lived with Moonshine and Flopsy from being 8 weeks old. she's spayed now, vet did it at the same time as suturing her wound.

And Grace,

It's just one thing after another with poor Gracey at the moment. Tried to bond her with the 3 girls just before xmas. It didn't work out and it upset her so much she went into GI stasis. Nursed her better from that and on Sat she had a sore red eye, took her to emergency vets on Sunday who diagnosed blocked tear duct, and had a look at her back teeth and said they needed burring. He gave her painrelief, metochlopramide and eyedrops. Anyway, she in GI stasis again! and her eye is a right mess, been bathing it hourly as well as force feeding the recovery stuff and infacol and tummy rubs. She's really gasey!

The vet wanted her in tomorrow for her GA, but she hasn't pooed properly yet so I'm guessing this is not wise??? Any suggestions for her eye? Getting the gunk off seems to make it look even more sore. (I'm using cooled boiled water and cotton buds) I'm gonna pick up some vaseline later to protect the fur around her eye.

Also noticed tonight that her front teeth aren't aligned properly. They weren't like this a couple of weeks ago when I last looked at them. What could have caused that? She's not a big hay eater but I do try. The vet told me that I shouldn't be feeding her pellets at all, just hay and occasional veg. and I'm like 'she'd never eat'!!

It never rains but it pours........................ :cry:

Nicola

Oh tell me about it :roll:
I'm not sure about the bonding, you could give it ago and see what happens.

Also regarding the front teeth, Dougal's looked perfect when I first got him but now they grow weird, and will need burred. So could just be her teeth are like that or she has had an accident that has made her teeth misaligned.

There is no point not giving pellets if she will not eat hay this will just cause problems. I tried to do that Dougal and guess what he started to pass mucus poos, cos there was nothing in his wee tummy, what you could do is reduce the amount of pellets to the minimum and see if that gets him eating hay, also try every type of hay you can, took me months to find a hay that Dougal liked. Good luck
:D

My 2 boys did have quite a nasty fight before thy were neutered, and Harly had a chunk out of his head jst above his eye. I don't think it was anywhere as near as serious as what this sounds, so I'm not sure. I don't know if it was me if I would risk it. If u do, I'd def leave it a good while for all the hormones 2 die down before even attempting it

Aww, it does sound like you're going through a time of it at the mo. I think that buns club together to pick a time to get ill at once!

The salt from the tears can make the area around the eye quite sore so cleaning the gunk regularly helps and as your planning a little vasiline to protect the skin. Gently massaging the corner of the eye where the tear duct is in a circle can help clear the gunk if it's thick and stop it blocking.

It's possible all the issues are inter related as teeth issues can cause eye issues and GI. It's important to keep a bun eating so although a high hay diet with help minimise teeth issues if she's not eating then let he have what she wants. She may not be eating because he mouth is sore so if a GA to sort it isn't practical then some pain meds again instead may help. Get this via injection not orally as that can upset the gut further. Soft food may encourage her to eat e.g. moisen the pellets or try a little porridge with pellets mushed in. Water intake is important too so try adding a little apple juice to water to encourage drinking. Teeth can make using a water bottle difficult so provide a bowl.

The front teeth looking out of line could be a result of the back teeth being out so she's holding her jaw differently.

Once she's had her eeth done and is back to eating then you can try playing around with her diet to help control her teeth issues.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

You know, there is a type human eye drop called natural tears, they can't solve anti-inflammory issue, but they work very nicely as cleaner. So if your vet prescribe eye drop is every 6 hr.

In between, you can give as many time on natural tears on bunny's eye as possible, it makes the bun feel comfy. It's meant for human, but safe on any animal, as it is nothing but natural tear

Back