• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

1st time bunny owner. any tips?

tanya

New Kit
Hi.
Iam picking up 2 bunnies on saturday (Abu and Alladin) . Abu is a medium lop, Alladin is a cashmere lop.
Ive never had buns before , so, if anyone has ANY tips, i would be gratefull.
Abu has had pastuella but is not on any meds at mo.
Ive got the hutch and run, thats all at mo.

wish me luck xx

Hi Tanya and welcome to the Forum. We were all first time bunny owners at one time, so you must never feel that folk here will think you're asking too many questions. There's no such thing as a stupid question, and I've found that everyone here is helpful, and understanding with newbies. What age are your new buns and are they neutered yet? I'm sure you've researched well beforehand and ensured that your hutch is big enough for two. Looking forward to some pictures..we all love pictures of rabbits....

Hey, welcome to the boards. This is a great place to learn. I have had buns for about 12 years, and there is so much I didnt know either.

The only tip I have is to read the Rabbit Care Discussion section on here - loads of bunny expertise at your fingertips!!!!

And if anything isnt covered (doubt that will happen) then all you have to do is ask!!!

tanya said:
Abu is a medium lop, Alladin is a cashmere lop.

Is Princess Jasmine not coming too :wink: :wink:

Tip...if Alladin is a cashmere lop get a sturdy grooming brush :wink: :wink: my mate had a cashmere and she needing grooming twice a day :shock:

Those names ring a bell, I'm sure I've seen two buns called that, are you getting them from Rabbitrehome?

I'm only a recent bunny owner from last summer. When I first got Pippa I couldn't pick her up and it was only when I went to a rescue to get MJ that I was shown how to handle them so I didn't get scratched. Pippa still doesn't like being picked up but I can do it to transfer her. Other things - urm, lots of hay, come on the forum a lot! as it's got loads of experienced owners for help, it's been fantastic for me and I've made new friends from it too.

Good luck with your buns, look forward to seeing pics of them settled in their new home :D

Hi.
Iam sure i"ll be fine when i get used to them.
Abu and Alladin are from rabbit rehome. Their pictures are plasterd everywhere. They are really sweet. Theres just sooooo much to remember i hope i dont forget anything. I thought i may need to groom Alladin quite a lot being a cashmere, i just hope he doesnt get too stressed while i do it. At least i know where to come if i need any advice. xx :D

Hi there and welcome to RU!

Just had a quick look on RR and they look like beautiful bunnies. Looking foward to seeing pics of them in their new home.

Ask as many questions as you need to, I'm learning all the time and everyone's very friendly here.

Where are they? I wanna see!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Are they going to be house bunnies or outsiders? littler trays - get litter trays and ask for some litter they made earlier from the rescue so hopefully you can start litter training immediately - makes cleaning out sooooooo much easier! :wink:

Hi
They will be outside rabbits , we have 5ft hutch and a 10ft x 5ft run. (hubby is making that, cant wait to see what that looks like!!). They are on the RR site, Woodgreen at Godmanchester, have a look.
We get the vet card tomorrow, then they will be neuterd, then we can take them home after a couple of days. Cant wait!!! xx :D

That's very exciting! Hope you have brilliant fun gettting to know your new additions and have a long and happy time with them!

Fiona x

tanya said:
Hi
They will be outside rabbits , we have 5ft hutch and a 10ft x 5ft run. (hubby is making that, cant wait to see what that looks like!!). They are on the RR site, Woodgreen at Godmanchester, have a look.
We get the vet card tomorrow, then they will be neuterd, then we can take them home after a couple of days. Cant wait!!! xx :D

I'd still recommend a litter tray in their hutch, it makes cleaning out so much easier. Mine wouldn't use a rectangle one, they removed it :roll: but have taken to using a large corner one. Most wee and poops ends up in it so I can clean that out every day or so rather than spot cleaning the hutch.

Thanks for the tip. Iam going to do that, sounds like a very good idea.
Is it compost i fill it with? i dont have a clue.
And do i give the the veggies whole or cut them in half/quarters?
i guess if they like the food it will be gone in a day, then i just remove whats not eaten? (u can tell iam new to this). xx :D

As my buns are outside I use newspaper topped with shavings in their tray but other people use wood based cat litter. As for veges, now mine are in a routine they wait for them by the shed window and usually scoff the lot very quickly. occasionally they might leave the odd brussel sprout or bit of carrot but it generally goes.

Generally I give them spring greens, half a large carrot, a few inch long bits of celery, sprouts and herbs. See what the rescues been giving them and introduce anything new gradually.

Back