• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles - what next?

Ali - Loki

Young Bun
Hi

We have been battling with Loki's snuffles now since the end of November. The first symptoms were quite a lot of clear-ish discharge from his nose and the first course of Baytril seemed to clear everything up. We then took him to have his VHD injection (his first) and the stress of it all brought back snuffles. We have now had only two weeks free of snuffles symptoms and have just finished the last course. He is 20 weeks old and is eating/drinking/pooing/acting completely normally. The only reason I know we haven't beaten snuffles is that the fur on his front paws is still matted and the fur by is nose is slightly wet on occasion i.e not the original symptoms where he looked and sounded like he had a really runny nose. I have spoken to the vet this morning and mentioned moving on to Septrin or the other antibiotics mentioned in posts over the last few weeks, but he is reluctant to give them to Loki as in his experience they have not worked as well as Baytril on snuffles. What he did suggest though is to take a swab and send it away for tests to find the strain of bacteria and then find the best antibiotic. I have been on the internet today and found a few sites where it says that swabs can give limited information and most tend to come back saying that there is evidence of pasturella (sp), which I know already! Has anyone had any experience of swabs being taken for snuffles - any advice would be gratefully received as I don't know what to do next.

My Vet has the opposite opinion to yours and she thinks Baytril is the least effective abx for 'Snuffles' She always prescribes Septrin first and then moves on to Depocillin Injections if the Septrin does not resolve the symptoms.
If Loki has a clear discharge from his nose rather than a white one has your Vet considered the possibilty of an allergy rather than infection?

A nasal swab may only be vaguely useful as if there are pockets of infection deep in the nose the swab may not reach them unless Loki were to be anaethetised. Not something you want to do with a Snuffly Bunny unless absolutely essential.
If Loki were my Bunny I'd persist with the request for Septrin. Some people have had success when their Buns have been prescribed Oxytetracyline.

Janex

Thanks Jane!
The discharge has been completely clear since the first course of antibiotics and when I say discharge it is now more like a tiny amount of wetness at the edge of his nose and matted fur on his front paws. The last time I went to the vets before Christmas I saw a Locum and he mentioned an allergy, but just prescribed baytril. The thing is when Loki is in the living room he is like a dust magnet and eats every bit he can find - I have also just stopped using woodshavings to see if that has any effect (I'm using newspaper and dust extracted hay at the bottom of the hutch now). He doesn't sneeze either (except of course when he has just emerged from underneath the sofa after the latest dust search!). I'm not sure what to do next as I don't want Loki to go through the stress of a swab if the results are questionable. He's my little boy and I want to do the best for him, but I don't know if the swab is the way forward (the vet is reluctant to prescribe Septrin until we get a swab). I also don't want to continue with antibiotics if it's an allergy - should I be looking for any other snuffly or allergy symptoms?

Thanks for all your help

Ali - Loki said:
Thanks Jane!
The discharge has been completely clear since the first course of antibiotics and when I say discharge it is now more like a tiny amount of wetness at the edge of his nose and matted fur on his front paws. The last time I went to the vets before Christmas I saw a Locum and he mentioned an allergy, but just prescribed baytril. The thing is when Loki is in the living room he is like a dust magnet and eats every bit he can find - I have also just stopped using woodshavings to see if that has any effect (I'm using newspaper and dust extracted hay at the bottom of the hutch now). He doesn't sneeze either (except of course when he has just emerged from underneath the sofa after the latest dust search!). I'm not sure what to do next as I don't want Loki to go through the stress of a swab if the results are questionable. He's my little boy and I want to do the best for him, but I don't know if the swab is the way forward (the vet is reluctant to prescribe Septrin until we get a swab). I also don't want to continue with antibiotics if it's an allergy - should I be looking for any other snuffly or allergy symptoms?

Thanks for all your help

Well your Vet may feel that he/she has to do a swab as any other abx he/she prescribes would be 'off licence'. Vet may not feel confident enough to do this without the swab.
As for other symptoms of Snuffles, well if the lower respiratory tract becomes infected too the Bun will have very noisy lung sounds (audible via stethescope) and they may have laboured breathing.
Conjunctivitis and Otitis Media (middle ear infection, often causing head-tilt) can also develop.
I would discuss this all again with the Vet but if he/she wont prescribe off-licence without doing a swab first you may have to go with that.....Or find a Vet who will!!

Janex

Back