• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Keeping Eyes Clean

AliBenMummy

Mama Doe
Hi there,

Can anyone give me some advice on keeping Benny's eyes clean?

He has constantly runny eyes and has just been on a course of Fucithalmic eye gel. I don't think there's any infection there now, but the vet seems to think the runniness is because his tear ducts are being pressed on by the roots of his teeth.

He has been a few times for a tear duct flush but they can never get it to flush right through and he ends up with very sore and swollen eyes for a few days afterwards. I'm reluctant to put him through this again because it never seems to do any good.

Is there anything other than plain water that I can bathe them with to make him more comfortable? He's quite good at keeping his face dry, so no problem there but he always looks as if he has "sleep" in the corner of his eye.

Thanks,

Gemma

use natural tears for cleaning, you can use it as often as possible. It's good for human when they have dry eyes, perfectly safe for rabbit.

The key word is "natural" , the box has to have the word on the box, there are many brand name to pick, I use Allergan everyday for my own eyes.

If it is a tooth root problem then it will never truely clear up, however, seems like I am having a plug bunnymail day :lol: :lol: :lol: not tried this but have the ear drops and would definately recommend them so maybe this eye drops might help with easing the irritation :)

http://www.bunnymail.co.uk/

Homeopathic Eye Drops
Homeopathic Euphrasia is sterile water base. Safe and non-irritant, effective in irrigating the eye, conjunctivitis and helps to eliminate staining. Ideal for all small animals.
EYE Eye Drops 15ml bottle £4.50 On Order

Thanks! I'll try those...

I think we might need a course of antibiotics again actually because the stuff is looking more white now. Another trip to the vets for us!

I once had a rabbit with the same thing I just used warm water daily and that seemed to do the thing.

Just use some saline solution from Boots (or wherever). I have checked this with my vet and use it to clean Tilly's bad eye (also blocked tearduct) ht

Back