• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice re: addition to bonded pair

Wizbit

Alpha Buck
Hi everyone. Just need a bit of advice please. Has anyone had any experience of introducing a neutered male to a bonded male/female pair?? Is this a good idea or will it be disasterous???

Hi,

I have tried this twice - with success!

Both bonded pairs had seen the single male through mesh (during play tome) for a few weeks before.

We have a little trouble with one of the original males been a grump at times (I think he would like to have his own space sometimes) but other than that it made no difference that its 2 boys and 1 girl.

You never know until you try!

I also have a pair of males which I nearly did not try together after reading some threads on how terrrible it could be!

Good luck!

I haven't bonded a two male threesome but in my bonding experience I have found that the boys are easier than the girls - they just seem more chilled with a get on with it attitude.

Diddeen introduced a female (Little Fifi) :love: , to a bonded Male and Female pair, Nala and Simba :love: :love: , she may be able to help :D

Sorry I have no idea :oops:

Hello,

we had our local rescue bond our couple with a single male, and everything went well for about 6 months. One day i came home and there was blood and fur everywhere(thankfully only a slight tear in one ear) and since then the boys have refused to speak to each other. We even tried putting in a second female to balance the group, and that only lasted a couple of weeks before it didn't work. Now we have resorted to two pairs who are right next to each other. Even now, the boys still bite eacho ther through the cages!!

I never really figured out what the trigger was , i think hormones just took over. But as i said it did work for a while and it was lovely! :D

:shock: :shock: :shock: Heck Jacquie! Had the boys been neutered ? What a disappointment for you. Is it more complicated having 2 pairs?

At one point I was going to try this but chickened out due to advice from a number of sources incl several rescues, now we have 2 pairs and they absolutely HATE each other. They lived next door to each other for about a year with a baby gate in between, and they still hated each other. We have now moved one pair outside into a converted bunny shed.

Sylvia and Humphrey are the worst, she once attacked him (thankfully we got her off him quickly) and he was so scared he screamed. She left a huge welt on his thigh where she had sunk her teeth in. More recently, Humphrey got out of the shed while Oli was in the garden and he attacked him pretty badly, thankfully again we were on hand to split them up - both of them were bleeding and had ear injuries, Oli has a permanent tear in his ear now - pretty annoyed about that.

I personally would not ever try and bond any of my 2 pairs together. Maybe they're all highly strung but it clearly would not work. I think you can tell pretty quickly whether it is likely to work or not. If you have a bad fight then personally I would get another female for your male and have 2 pairs. If you have the guts to try it!! The best way to have a threesome imo is to get them as litter mates and let them grow up together. If I'd known this in the past then I would have considered getting a larger group of bunnies from the start. Now I've got 2 pairs and I'm considering a third! ht

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think going on what most people have said that I am going to give it up as a bad idea.

You could try introducing them through a grate or with one inside a crate or carrier, and see what happens... that way I reckon you'd get a pretty good idea.

Sorry to be so negative in my last post, I think I was still in trauma from Oli and Humphrey's fight :( :(

Oh don't worry at all. I would rather people give me an honest opinion and you weren't the only one who had had a bad experience. I think I decided that it isn't fair on Daisy and Bertie as it might upset everyone too much.

Thanks again.

Back