• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

would you?

Flo

Alpha Buck
New question.
I had a young couple come forward and ask about adopting a pair of the babies. One of which I thought would be harder to rehome because he isnt as "cute" tho deffo the more confident.
This would be better for them, and mean that I would have more foster space.
I went round last night to see them, they were lovely, young couple, both full time workers so they decided against a dog or cat. They said they went into P@h and walked away because of the state of the rabbits enclosures :)
They had three rabbit books, had done their homework and sat and fired care questions at me for about an hour, what to feed, when to neuter etc etc. Perfect.
The only problem is, they live in a flat with a balcony. What is the the general opinion on this? can a rabbit have a happy and healthy life, if it never gets to go outside? They havent been outside yet, as it has been so cold, and miserable.
They have ordered two dog crates for them to go in, and a run for the balcony, they are going to be free ranging buns when they are there, and in the crates when they cant be watched. Any advice?

Absolutely, many rabbits live happy lives as house rabbits. It often means they have a nice large area for exercise and close interaction with their humans.

The only consideration that needs to be made is they need to have vitamin D3 from their diet as double glazzing filters out UV sunlight. Most pellets have this in though so it's not an issue unless you are just feeding a hay & veggie diet.

It sounds like they would make great owners :)

Make sure their balcony is as secure as they think it is. I remember someone mentioning they had a rabbit taken vy a fox from a first floor balcony!

Tam

Ps. If you think about it hamsters, gerbils, rats, budgies etc. are all outdoor animals but are kept inside. It's just rabbits are traditionally outdoor animals but that doesn't mean they can't be happy inside :)

My house bun never goes outside, we leave the big doors open but he just sits inside and never puts a paw out - some buns are very content just to live inside

I have just tried putting one of my indoor Buns, Michael, out in the garden for a run around. HE HATED IT :shock: :? :roll: He spent the entire time scratching and nibbling at the door trying to get back in!!
So 'yes' as long as indoor Buns have plenty of space they can have very happy lives indoors.

Janex

Aww, that sounds a lovely home, hope all goes well if you decide to go ahead, the advice on here sounds encouraging :) !

Jack's-Jane said:
I have just tried putting one of my indoor Buns, Michael, out in the garden for a run around. HE HATED IT :shock: :? :roll: He spent the entire time scratching and nibbling at the door trying to get back in!!

I put Sweep out in the garden last summer and he ran straight back indoors and refused to come out again :lol: So much for the patch of turf I'd laid especially for bunnies :roll: He wouldn't go near it :lol:

Vicky

My house bun isn't very keen on going outside.. He sits by the run door until I bring him back inside, he then usually bangs his back paws rather louldly when I bring him in though so not sure what that's all about..
I think that home sounds just fine :D

Thats what I thought. My first lop, Josie hated being outside too, preferred being under my bed!
They said that they wanted to take three of them, two girls and a boy. I am going to neuter and vax them before they go, and then just ask for a donation.

Indoor buns can be totally happy. Mine are. The US has a bit of a different attitude toward rabbits and where UK people worry that it might be wrong to keep a rabbit indoors, in the US people campaign and educate others to get all rabbits kept indoors. The only national rabbit group that isn't related to breeding is the House Rabbit Society, and most shelters and rescues won't rehome a rabbit to people who will keep it outside. So like I said, very different attitude.

my rabbits go outside very rarely. i used to take them to a friends house and use their massive runs whilst having a chat and a cuppa :lol:
my intention was to allow mine the run of the garden when i was in and the dogs inside but......
i have discovered a badger sett underneath my next door neighbours shed, and there are foxes in the communal garden that backs on to mine.
when they were singles or pairs they had a small run they could take turns in but now they are 6 they wont fit!
so until i get my allotment and can enclose an area they can play in whilst i work on my veggies, they will stay in the bunnyhouse.

ooh i forgot to add...
i think though that fresh air and sunshine are important to a buns well being, but as houses have windows, this can easily be arranged :wink:

My buns are house buns, we live on the 5th floor so they never go out, both buns are very happy and healthy, the only thing that was a problem was that my all my floors are laminated there for the buns couldn't run about very fast as they would skid into the walls, I have had to buy rugs for everywhere and have a huge (and I mean huge) off cut of carpet in the sitting room and they now run about like mad buns. :lol:

Back