• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What Rules for bringingRabbits to the UK

Hey everyone
Well i live in Germany at the moment but we are due to be posted to the UK in December this year as my fiance is in the Army.
I was just wondering if u could tell me what the rules (laws) are to bring the rabbits with us?
they are all injected and kastrated (ist that spelled right? :oops: )
Do they have to go in quarantine (soz my spelling :oops: )
I wanna be the best prepared and make it as easy for the rabbits as possible.
Any Ideas? :) :?:
Thx
Anna

There are some bacteria that UK rabbit can be infected but not around elsewhere. Myxi for instance, comes to my mind. So I don't know if Germany have these bacteria, but there are injection needed for the rabbits once you landed.

Read Sticky section under Rabbit Care. Subject Mysi 2006

Happy Hopping said:
There are some bacteria that UK rabbit can be infected but not around elsewhere. Myxi for instance, comes to my mind. So I don't know if Germany have these bacteria, but there are injection needed for the rabbits once you landed.

Myxamatosis is caused by a virus not a bacteria.

Originally, myxomatosis was imported from Brazil (where it was first discovered in the 1930's) to Australia in 1950. This was to control the massive populations of rabbits that sub-continent. In Brazil, the Cotton Tailed rabbit (Sylvilagus) is affected by the disease to a minor degree as only tiny lumps are produced by this self limiting disease. However, in Australia the disease was devastating and markedly reduced the rabbit population. The disease was transmitted from Australia by a French Physician, Dr A Delille, who wished to control the rabbit population on his country estate near Paris. The disease rapidly spread into the wild population in France and then was brought, entirely by accident, from France in 1953. There is no evidence that the disease was intentionally brought into Britain but there is no doubt that some farmers moved the disease around using diseased rabbits to control the population of the rabbits locally. It is therfore widespread over Europe and not just confined to the UK.

VHD is enzootic in the People's Republic of China, Korea, most of continental Europe, Morocco, Cuba, Australia, and New Zealand. In Europe, the disease is also epizootic in the wild rabbit population with more cases occurring in the fall. An outbreak occurred in the Mexico City area in December 1988. In February 1989, the Mexican government began a control and eradication program to eliminate the disease using test and slaughter methods. The campaign was successful; there were few reported cases in 1990 and none in 1992. Mexico is the first country to succeed in eradicating this disease.

Both the rabbit diseased which are found in the UK which it is highly recommended to vaccinate against are all prevelent on main land Europe.

Thank you for all the links and help.
Our Rabbits are all injected against Myxomatosis and RHD, so hopefully this won´t be a problem.
I´m jst wondering if i have to put them in Quarantine for 6 month when we get to the UK? :?
Some ppl say they do and some say they don`t?!
I´ll have to ask my vet as we go and see him tomorrow again anyway
Anna

Just call the UK custom, they can tell you and get a brochure or a web site link from them. That way, in case someone doesn't know the procedure at the border, you can print out the web link and show them.

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/factsheet/eufactsheet6.pdf

this is the current regulations for EU rabbit imports, there are telephone numbers and email addresses at the end for you to contact to confirm these regs if you are worried :)

Are you flying or driving and ferry?

Make sure the airline or ferry operator allow pets on board as some still don't and if you are flying you will need to book a flight for the rabbit :)

leanne said:
if you are flying you will need to book a flight for the rabbit :)

or give them some red bull just before you leave :lol: :lol: :lol: *imagines lop eared rabbits flapping their ears and flying away into the sunset* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

tupperwarequeen said:
leanne said:
if you are flying you will need to book a flight for the rabbit :)

or give them some red bull just before you leave :lol: :lol: :lol: *imagines lop eared rabbits flapping their ears and flying away into the sunset* :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: Oh my! That vision has cheered me up no end after a hard day essay writing!!! Thank you! :D

Back