• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

pasturella-vet bills

tanya

New Kit
hi.

please can someone give me some advice?
iam in the process of adopting a pair of boy bunnys from a rescue centre, and one of them has pasturella. hes not on any medication at the mo and i was told he may not need any but if he does, he will need to be on a course of medication from the vet. does anyone one know what the meds will be? and roughly how much it will cost at a time?
thanks

I think it may depend on the vet and the type of medication but when Dobbin goes down with it a course or oral antibiotics is about £20, when he had to have injections it was about £6 an injection for a week.

Different people may have had different experiences though.

Hope this helps

Sue
xx

To a certain extent, it's 'how long is a piece of string'. My vet now dispenses me terramycin which I inject myself, it costs me £2.10 per course. Previously I've had baytril, septrin, doxycycline and penicillin, and they have all been around a fiver per course.

Some vets will only dispense after a consultation every time, and consultation fees can vary tremendously from about £8 up to about £30 or more. So potentially, you could end up paying a consultation fee and an injection for a week, amounting to £50 or more, or, like me, you could be charged £2.10 and allowed to do it yourself - or anything in between. When Santa was first on terramycin I'd go in every couple of days for the injection and would be charged a small consultation fee, but now I have enough of a relationship with my vet that she will dispense a repeat prescription when I ask for one, as she's comfortable that I know when Santa needs it and can administer it myself.

Sorry that's probably not really that helpful, but it really does depend on your vet, and on what antibiotic works best for your bun.

Good luck xxx

pasturella-vet bills, 1st time bunny owner.

Thankyou for the tips.
Iam new to this and have never looked after bunnies before. I pick up Abu and Alladin at the weekend and iam really bricking it. Iam so worried iam going to do something wrong, and as hes got pasturella already iam not sure when or if i need to start medication again. Abu just sneezes every now and then so i dont think its too bad at mo.

Wish me luck, xx

Re: pasturella-vet bills, 1st time bunny owner.

tanya said:
Thankyou for the tips.
Iam new to this and have never looked after bunnies before. I pick up Abu and Alladin at the weekend and iam really bricking it. Iam so worried iam going to do something wrong, and as hes got pasturella already iam not sure when or if i need to start medication again. Abu just sneezes every now and then so i dont think its too bad at mo.

Wish me luck, xx

Some info' about Pasteurella

http://www.rabbit.org/chapters/san-diego/health/vet-talk/pasteurella.html

http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/past.shtml

Good luck with your new Bunnies :D

Janex

Back