• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Abbie Piggie (you've heard of Shaun the Sheep?)

elve

Banned
Abbie and 11 other piggies had a radical makeover this wheeeek! (still got 2 to do today) :D

Abbie Before:

P1010133.jpg

And After!

P1010137.jpg

P1010143.jpg

Abbie deserves a round of applause for keeping that long, thick, woolly coat clean and tangle-free - she put in hours every day, tying herself in knots to reach it all! :thumb:

Unlike some :roll: I would like to name and shame Imogen! Shocking! Some piggies are just plain lazy - But all are happier now they can see their feet again :lol:

Won't she get cold?

I only ever trim the hair round my furries bottoms. They never matt on top.

Anyone want a fluff ball like Elve's? I have three neutered males and 6 female alpaca/pigs-with-skirts that can be their harems.

doorkeeper said:
Won't she get cold?

Anyone want a fluff ball like Elve's? I have three neutered males and 6 female alpaca/pigs-with-skirts that can be their harems.

Will they get cold? :shock: Never thought of that - they still have more fur than the 'smooth' pigs though....and they never go outside....

Although the alpacas don't matt on top, they can't groom it down to the skin as easily, the longer the fur is - imagine having an itch on your back, and you can't scratch it with that thick overcoat on! And all the fur around their sides stops them reaching their caecal poops as easily too - it just gets in the way! Plus when you pick them up, their back feet catch in it and they yank a tuft out sometimes, which must hurt :( I've noticed that pigs are very uncomplaining compared to rabbits though - they soldier on, ignoring discomfort, so I like to make their life a bit easier by chopping off their long hair regularly.

Maybe if I brushed them every day it would help - but I'm too lazy :oops: I'd rather chop it all off every 8 weeks, and let them groom it in between - If I didn't cut it at all it would grow to about a foot long wouldn't it? Although not with Beattie - she lives with a smooth pig who 'barbers' her almost bald on her shoulders! :shock: Not that Beattie seems to mind - she sits there placidly while Crystal rips her fur off and eats it - they love each other! :) Takes about 2 minutes to cut what's left of Beattie's fur - With the single pigs it just grows and grows!

Awww, I've got an alpaca and she's a nightmare to groom, definitely NOT uncomplaining!! Squeak, jump, squeak, jump ..... and that's just stroking, when I get the brush out she takes off :lol: I trim her bum at the moment but am going to cut it a bit shorter but don't think I'd go that far as I love her long coat :D

elve said:
doorkeeper said:
Won't she get cold?

Will they get cold? :shock: Never thought of that - they still have more fur than the 'smooth' pigs though....and they never go outside....

Although the alpacas don't matt on top, they can't groom it down to the skin as easily, the longer the fur is - imagine having an itch on your back, and you can't scratch it with that thick overcoat on! And all the fur around their sides stops them reaching their caecal poops as easily too - it just gets in the way! Plus when you pick them up, their back feet catch in it and they yank a tuft out sometimes, which must hurt :( I've noticed that pigs are very uncomplaining compared to rabbits though - they soldier on, ignoring discomfort, so I like to make their life a bit easier by chopping off their long hair regularly.

Maybe if I brushed them every day it would help - but I'm too lazy :oops: I'd rather chop it all off every 8 weeks, and let them groom it in between - If I didn't cut it at all it would grow to about a foot long wouldn't it? Although not with Beattie - she lives with a smooth pig who 'barbers' her almost bald on her shoulders! :shock: Not that Beattie seems to mind - she sits there placidly while Crystal rips her fur off and eats it - they love each other! :) Takes about 2 minutes to cut what's left of Beattie's fur - With the single pigs it just grows and grows!

If it grows so long their feet tangle in it you could trim it on the sides too, but mine have never had that happen. But then when I trim their bums any of the side hair that is long enough gets gathered into that. I turn the piggie over smoothe the coat down towards the bum and trim off everything that sticks out behind them following the line of their bodies. It takes 5 minutes once a month. Not exactly high maintenance, but people still shy away from adopting them :? I can't believe my gorgeous lads are still here :roll:
If you bath them every 4-6 weeks with gorgeous guineas shampoo their coats should stay in nice condition so their skin doesn't get itchy. They are not like long haired rabbits needing frequent grooming.

I used to trim my little lads bottom every so often as he had a habit of lying down and weeign so it all got in his fur! :shock:

Then i used to give him a complete cut in the summer as he suffered badly with heat strokes :(

doorkeeper said:
Won't she get cold?

I wouldn't have thought so? Afterall it's still the same thickness just shorter and because they are indoor pigs :D

She looks so cute! :D :D

awww Louise I can imagine little piggies laying on their backs :lol: Not mine though :roll:

I use proper hairdressing scissors with rounded ends (from Boots), as most of mine do the 'squeak jump' thing too - I've never brushed them or bathed them though, just a bum wash on a couple of them who have less than clean habits. Have to say I can't imagine a child coping with the hairdressing though - I'm appalled when I think where my 'kids' would have ended up if a breeder had got them all - they are irresistably cute but wouldn't last long in a hutch outside with no grooming, unlike smooth pigs who will manage OK.

I also did the 2 shelties and the peruvian I have - the shelties look like little smooth pigs now, and the peruvian looks like an abyssinian! :D

I do love my alpacas though - they have a fantastic temperament compared to smooth pigs - very confident and friendly little things, and even the shy ones are easy to catch and hold compared to smoothies - they just sit there and let me pick them up :D

Abbie's my favourite though - to think I wanted to rehome her for months as I was scared of her :roll: :oops: She's so clean - rushes to her toilet corner for the loo, and keeps the rest of her cage immaculate! I wonder why some pigs are such pigs? I have a few that just toilet where they sit! They are permanently damp and smelly! Seem happy and healthy though - but not very cuddly - yuk! :?

I trimmed two of my piggies today.It was mainly round the bum area.The squeek so loud the neighbours must think i am murdering them :lol: :lol:

Awww I want! She is just like... fur fur fur fur fur fur... eye... fur... fur... more fur... bit more fur...ear... fur... :lol:

I've got an alpace boy who will not let me brush him properly, you should have heard the noise last night and he jumps a full 180 degrees! Even when I just touch him on his back or bum he does it, with the brush I just had to get hold of him and grip! I wouldn't care if I though it hurt but I'm hardly touching him with the brush I'm that gentle! No worries about his companion alpaca though because he's very kindly chewed his coat like a shorn sheep for him too! In fact all of my long hairs are chewed at the mo, I just posted yesterday on the guinea pig forum for ideas on why it might be happening.

I do love my long hairs though!

Back