• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

freecycle bun n piggie - collected n pics added

ok ages and ages ago someone posted a bun n piggie on freecycle in my area. said she sadly didnt have the time to spend with them anymore.
ive sat and thought long and hard and its been playing on my mind that anyone could take the bun n piggy and could have an awful life.
yesterday i emailed the lady and asked if they were still looking for a new home. i got a reply today that said she would get back to me tomorrow because they were still there but wasnt sure if they still needed a new home - which confused me abit. maybe someone has said they will take them and not turning up for a couple of days or something.
i was abit shocked that no one had taken them already seen as tho the ad was posted b4 xmas.
they come with their hutches and everything and gather they live seperate because two hutches are being given. size i have no idea but if ones too small i can attempt to fix a broken hutch me mate has and use that one.
so if i am offered these lil cuties i plan to foster them for awhile and contact my local vets who is in contact with a local rescue (only found out this rescue existed at vets other day when discussing getting harv neutered)
i know im going off on a whim cas ive never fostered b4 or done any atall but i just decided it was the right thing to do and i worried so much these animals would go to someone who didnt care esp because they were free.

If you do take them you need to keep in mind that the rescue will not necessarily have the space or funds to support you. Don't go into it counting on them backing you up.

Keep in mind the animals may need medical treatment which once you take them on you'll be responsible for paying for.

Would it perhaps be better to put the lady directly in contact with the rescue and contact the rescue yourself to offer fostering?

I'm not saying don't, you just need to be careful you don't take on more than you can cope with :)

Tam

yeah have thought about all that in my long hard thinking tamsin. am willing to look after them for as long as needed and now i have given up the cigs i have extra cash incase they do get poorly and for vaccines if needed. thought instead of wasting my money on clothes or junk i could use it to help these lil fellas. :D

Hi, I'm fostering at the moment.. The rescue I had the bun off told me the funds weren't there for this buns vets fees...
I will be paying for all his vet care until I find this little guy a forever special home..
Like I said to my hubby I don't drink or smoke or buy myself lots of clothes so I'd prefer to spend on my bunnies, I'm a stay at home mum so we have only 1 income coming in that's why I can only afford to foster on bun at a time even though I do have space for another one.

Its very rewarding though :) ...
Hopefully When I find this little fella a home I can then foster another bun.

Thats nice of you Kirsty, I think its a good idea if you have the money to care for them :thumb:

Ive decided to only fosters for resces now as I just couldnt afford to pay for vet care myself. Good luck x

good news. the bun and piggy were not yet taken so the lady offered them to me. with the help of sarah (kaskaskia) and 2 other friends we went on a mission to collect them. i think the lady was really sad to see them go but couldnt devote the time to them. told her i would sent her pics.
both of their nails are very long and the poor little piggies have actually curled around. ive tried to cut as best i can but cant do the front ones because the piggie just closes them up. am going to leave that one to the vets when i take them both next week.
the rabbit is a stunning male who is called benji and piggie who i was told is male i think is actually a female (due to no bits) was called oscar but now known as daisy - name to be confirmed once vet tells me sex lol :lol:
oscar/daisy has settled in very very well and is eating loads! i put some hay in and ive never seen a mound of hay go so quick. benji hasnt eaten much and turned his nose up at my food. im guessing hes used to eating piggies food because thats what he went for and they were kept together.
they currently inside at the mo(ty sarah again for the lend of the indoor home) and going to disinfect hutch 2moz.
heres some photos....

Picture004.jpg

Picture002.jpg

i really dont think i could just foster them - i fell in love instantly! :love: so i have decided that i am going to keep them and offer them their forever home. maybe even try and see if harv and benji could be friends once both neutered in future

edit - looked online how to sex and my mistake piggie is a boar! lol

Oh, they are beautiful, especially oscar piggie! I'm sure they're delighted with their new home :D

you will need to get piggy a friend :D it might feel a bit lonely scince it has lived with a rabbit for ages

awww - they are both gorgeous! But carry on giving Benji piggy food, with just a little rabbit food mixed in at first - increase the rabbit food over a couple of weeks till that's all he has. If he doesn't eat he may get stasis, and a sudden change in diet might upset his tum too.

Well done! No wonder you want to keep them - they are stunning :D

thanks elve shall do hes started to eat more hay now and even straw. i wasnt sure if piggy food was bad for him so will mix it into the pellets
am hoping they will get a clean bill of health when i take themvets in the week and that vet can help with oscars poor claws :(

Awww thy'r both lovely, and look 2 have been well cared for even if she was lacking in time for them. Im not really hugely in2 piggies, but he's so cute

well the bun and piggie were brought home in my car, and the housing in Kirstys friends car, and I was seriously tempted to do a runner with them...... they are soooooooooo gorgeous!!!!!!!!

Don't think Kirsty would have been too chuffed tho! :lol:

Back