• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

burring or clipping

Burring or clipping, which is best?

• Burring

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Clipping

• Both

• Total voters

nicole

Mama Doe
Who's bunnies has had burring or clipping?
How long did it take for them to fully recover?
How bad were their teeth?
How often do they need a dental?

Sorry so many questions :oops:

Burring has always 'bought' more time in between dentals for mine.

However they have always been very very sore after it and have needed lots of extra care and syringe feeding for much much much longer.

My bunnies who have had their teeth clipped (under GA also) have usually bounced back into eating relatively quickly.

Veterinarian technique might play a part???

Fiona x

Burring is better as clipping causes tiny fractures to the teeth. It can also cause them to splinter and make abcess more likely.

Tam

Tamsin said:
Burring is better as clipping causes tiny fractures to the teeth. It can also cause them to splinter and make abcess more likely.

Tam

How long has it taken them to recover?

Tamsin said:

Tam

Agreed :thumb:

Do you mean recover from the GA or from the Dental proceedure itself?
All mine, even those with advanced Dental Disease, recover within 24 hours. Some need a bit of analgesia for a couple of days.

Janex

Taz has had both, I honestly can't say I noticed much difference in either, obviously I had heard about the risk of clipping as mentioned by Tam and Jane, but on one occasion it was just one tooth which needed doing, he had broken his other teeth in an accident, for that time the vet recommended clipping as it was quicker, and less traumatic, he had pain relief.

burring and neither of my 2 that have had it done have had any problems afterwards they were both able to eat hard foods straight away!

Jack's-Jane said:
Tamsin said:

Tam

All mine, even those with advanced Dental Disease, recover within 24 hours. Some need a bit of analgesia for a couple of days.

Janex

Yes just the dental, how long till they are eating and drinking on their own.

nicole said:
Jack's-Jane said:
Tamsin said:

Tam

Janex

Yes just the dental, how long till they are eating and drinking on their own.

Even the worst cases are eating within 12 hours

Janex

My bun usually started eating pretty much straight after the op. The vet usually had some veggies for him he prefered starting with a bit of apple :)

Tam

Oh well I clearly have a problem on my hands as none of my buns have done well with burring in terms of recovery to full eating and drinking quickly.

It could well be my vets' ability to do it or is it all too easy to blame him?

Fiona x

I do think there must be an element of skill to it. However different bunnies conditions could effect things too. Does your vet give pain relief afterwards? I think mine gave an injection which I think lasts 24 hrs.

Tam

Hi again. Yes my vet gives pain relief after the procedure and I always have a supply to take home too.

I think probably a bit depends on whether it is a routine 'booked' dental too All of my bunnies have been in some degree of difficulty when they have gone under GA for the dental i.e. In early stages of GI stasis and off their food and full of gas. So I suppose it is unrealistic to expect them to bounce back completely?

Fiona x

Fionabun said:
All of my bunnies have been in some degree of difficulty when they have gone under GA for the dental i.e. In early stages of GI stasis and off their food and full of gas.

In which case is Metoclopromide given AFTER the GA ?

Are they admitted alone or with a friend ? Taking care of their psychological well-being is important too.

Janex

We've just found out that Grace needs her teeth burring. Been to vets today as she had a sore eye and had gone into stasis. The vet wants her in as soon as her gut is moving again to flush her tear duct and do her teeth.

I think I'm just gonna have my wages paid directly to the vets!!!! :roll:
First Smudge's £200 bill, now £100 for Grace. I'm gonna have to sort out some insurance, otherwise I'll be bankrupt!!

Nicola

Jack's-Jane said:
In which case is Metoclopromide given AFTER the GA ?

Are they admitted alone or with a friend ? Taking care of their psychological well-being is important too.

Janex

Yes, Metaclopramide is given post GA. Prepulsid too. No their friends have not gone with them but I have brought them home to be with their friends ASAP

Fiona x

Back