• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Flemish Giants P@h

karen354

Warren Veteran
Hi, Went into Pets@home today I was so suprised that they had started selling giant buns.. £149.99 ...
People are not going to realise how big these buns grow, they are just not going to have the room in normal size hutches..
I saw a couple look at a black giant then my husband said they had gone to look at the 4ft hutches!!! :(

:( :( Oh no how awful.
Surely p@h would tell them a 4ft hutch is way too small,or would they :?

Becca said:
:( :( Oh no how awful.
Surely p@h would tell them a 4ft hutch is way too small,or would they :?

I'd have thought they would because a bigger hutch equals more money. Callous I know but at least P@H would have a financial reason to sell the larger hutch.

AMETHYST

im pretty sure that most P@H are gunna start selling giants the one that i used to work at has got rid of all the birds to make way for them. I think some of em are going to be selling reptiles?

Here is my Flemish Giant, Libby

Picture249.jpg

I dont think Giants should be kept in hutches. They need an 8ft shed at the very least

Janex

No I'm pretty sure none of their hutchs are suitable for the giants... I might be wrong though but haven't seen any..

My local P@H has started selling giants a while back. I have to say though that as far as a pet shop can be, they seem to be promoting the right stuff. They are all neutered, they are being sold as house rabbits, they have a whole checklist of things pinned up by the enclousure that should be discussed with potential buyers like myxi and VHD vaccs, suitable housing and diet, size the rabbits will grow to etc. I wish they wouldn't sell rabbits but I think they're doing a lot better than a lot of pet shops.

...a pen in my lounge!!

She's lovely :love: :love: ... Went to a rescue recently myself & husband were so suprised how big they were.. [/url]

Posted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 9:04 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My local P@H has started selling giants a while back. I have to say though that as far as a pet shop can be, they seem to be promoting the right stuff. They are all neutered, they are being sold as house rabbits, they have a whole checklist of things pinned up by the enclousure that should be discussed with potential buyers like myxi and VHD vaccs, suitable housing and diet, size the rabbits will grow to etc. I wish they wouldn't sell rabbits but I think they're doing a lot better than a lot of pet shops.

Oh well thats good then... :)

The problem is P@H cant follow up a rehoming, so just because someone buys a giant and says its in the house, or doesnt buy at hutch at the same time as the rabbit, doesnt mean its not stuck in a 3 foot hutch at the bottom of the garden.

My French Lops live in this huge hand built hutch. This hutch is made of solid timber and took 6 men to put it onto the stand and I had to take a fence panel out to get it in the garden ! The measurements are, hutch 7ft wide, 2ft 10" deep, it is 3ft high for plenty of head room and stretching. The hutch looks asthough it is sectioned into two but it isnt, there is a huge bedding area and two huge play areas.

The ramps coming down into the run are wide and made of very heavy timber because of the weight of big buns ! The run is 7ft wide and over 6ft long, height is just over 2ft 6" I have a corrugated plastic over the run, to keep the rain out. There are two trap doors so the buns can be shut in the hutch if required and at the back of the stand there are two doors for access. The front of the run detaches for easy cleaning. Sorry to those who have seen it before. The buns also have freetime in the garden. They have plenty of toys in there and are very happy with loads of room.

Click to enlarge.

desk03wq1.jpg

And this is mine. She just hops around the house and do her hopping outdoor in the backyard in the summer.

Hey Jane, how much is your little furball weighs? My one last check in Aug. 2006 is 5 Kg.

I know i`m going abit off topic here but what annoys me is, yes P&H are neutering the giants they`re selling & giving advice on vacs, care, housing etc........ and yes this is a good step forward But why aren`t they doing this for all the bunnies? Surely they`re all just as important?
I know it`s important a giant doesn`t get put in a tiny unsuitable hutch, ( my 2 live in a shed), But it`s also just as important a smaller bunny doesn`t either.

Whinge over.
Su.x

Back