• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

My just neutered lad! help

I was given my new boy rabbit on boxing day, he's a year old and he needed a home because his previous owners had split up and no longer wanted him, (which is sad because he's so friendly and cheeky).

First few days were great! :p but then the mounting and spraying started and i thought i'd better book him in to my vet to be neutered. Everything went well but within an hour of getting home he started mounting me already and sprayed me twice. :?

I've been told that it can take up to six weeks before this behaviour disapears but i really don't want to keep him locked up in the kitchen for all that time. When were not with him he uses his litter tray brilliantly. I'm so desperate to get to know him more but getting sprayed and mounted is a slight turn off!If it means there's nothing else i can do i'll deal with it but i'd like to know if there's anything more i can do!

Hello

Do you have any other Rabbits, especially Does? If so he will pick up their scent off you.

I think you just need to put up with his amorous advances as he WILL calm down. He is just doing what a Buck does when he sees a pretty Doe.... :wink: The more time you spend with him the less of an 'exciting' event it will be!! And once his hormones calm down he will be the perfect gentlebun!

Welcome to RU :D

Janex

Yes i've got three other rabbit's, nibbs and gizmo both are neutered ladies and charlie an intact lad. They live outside. They all know something is different though because they started fighting the other day which is very unusal as they are best of friends normally! So i've got few teething problems at the moment! they eventually calm down but i daren't introduce obi to them because they took hours to calm down.

Gem in pembrokeshire said:
Yes i've got three other rabbit's, nibbs and gizmo both are neutered ladies and charlie an intact lad. They live outside. They all know something is different though because they started fighting the other day which is very unusal as they are best of friends normally! So i've got few teething problems at the moment! they eventually calm down but i daren't introduce obi to them because they took hours to calm down.

Your Does are showing what's callered refered aggression. They cant get at the 'intruder Rabbit' so they are having a go at each other. Try to make sure the new boy cant get near enough to spray onto your Does. If that happens a nasty fight is likely to ensue as the spray will make the Does smell 'wrong' to each other.
I think you need to keep the new boy out of sight and smell of the girls til his hormones settle. Then any introductions need to be done on completely neutral territory. Some-where no-bun has been before.

Good Luck

Janex

Yep done that, when he started doing it the first time, but he kept going so much that i got very worried and there was red stuff all over it and i wasn't sure if it was blood! Slightly yuck yes!!

Back