• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Belgian Hares

Flo

Alpha Buck
Has anyone got one, have any experience, or able to advise on their personalities. I am dying to have one, but have heard mixed comments. I would rather have a rescue one tho..I wont line breeder pockets

dont mind that. looked on the web, and hundreds of breeders..including a few who offer free delivery :shock:

RUby is a belgian hare cross. She was in rescue for quite some time before we brought her home. She is beautiful, and loves to binky and dig. She has very slender legs and large ears - quite deer-like really.
She's quite skittish and will happily eat from my hand, sometimes tolerate a noserub, but hates being picked up.

PC300043.jpg

DSCN1214.jpg

DSCN0629.jpg

I went on a guided tour of a local farm who work with people with learnign difficulties and do riding for the disabled. They had a number of buns and piggies including two young Belgian Hares for sale for £10 each. I had a cuddle and they were very friendly. Obviously I wouldn't take this as a breed review but that was my experience!

I saw a gorgeous one at the rescue we got a couple of our buns from. The couple who run it use him for their handling sessions (they take them to special needs schools and homes for the mentally ill) and said he is the best and loves being picked up and having attention. They also commented on his intelligience.

I think you might struggle to find one unless you go to a breeder but you might find someone who has a really poor quality one? Good luck, I think they look a lovely breed.

I was stuck between them French lop and continental giants...I know they are quite rare...have to go a belgian hare hunting

OMG she is so so beautiful...

A friend of mine has two belgian hares that she has shown in the past. The male is so laid back and she just lets him roam free in the garden when shes there, and the female is a little skittish. Both are quite easy to handle!! Oh, and they look fabulous.

It depends if you are willing to wait a little while - but i have seen a couple in Rescues & 3 or 4 on free ads in the past year? :D

Hiya I have a Belgium Hare called Cracker :D
I am sorry but I have to disagree that Belgium Hare are easy to handle :oops: :oops:
Firstly they have very spindly legs, and extra delicate spines, so you can easily break their limbs if you carry them in the wrong way, or allow them to jump down.
Belgium Hares, although they can be gentle and chilled out bunnies, many are not, and have feisty, lively characters. If they are upset, or scared, they can spring at you, box you like a (well ...eerrmm Mad March Hare) and do a lot of damage to you with their claws.
Having had bunnies for over 30 years, I feel Belgium Hares are definately not for the inexperienced rabbit keeper, and have special needs by virtue of their confirmation.
Belgium Hares are beautiful, but we keep ours as a house rabbit, and give her lots of space to stretch her limbs to prevent arthritis developing.
Crackers joints are supported when she runs by the carpet, I would not like to have her running around on concrete or hard surfaces incase she damages her delicate hocks or legs.
Best wishes
Adele

Thanks for the advice. I have had dwarf and medium lops, Netherlands, Polish and Dutch...mmm wonder if I should wait a while :roll:

Also to add to what Adele said, they are very prone to sore hocks. There's just not much covering those thin little bones.

They are beautiful buns though. And if it's a rescue bun, you could visit him and get a good idea of his personality before you decide to adopt.

Back