• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Rabbits and cats

sophy

Young Bun
Hi,

We have been thinking for some time about adopting a rescue kitten as my husband always had them growing up and would love to have a cat now.

Our two Giant buns are in the house most of the time (when there's someone in). They adore each other and the piggies but HATE the other pair of buns so slightly concerned about bringing a kitten into the mix.

I have read as much as poss on the subject of putting rabbits and cats together but have seen that quite a few people on here have cats and it would be so useful to hear people's experiences, good or bad.

How do buns and cats get on?
How did you go about introducing them?

Thanks X

my cat gets on quite well with one of my buns and just ignores the other two :lol:

I trust her completely with malibu, but would never leave them alone unsupervised. I would be more worried about malibu hurting the cat than the cat hurting the bunny :D

Um we had the cat before the rabbits, I introduced them in the kitchen (and stayed very close) and she was very good with malibu. And didnt even look at the others :roll:

I`ve got 8 cats & never had a problem. :D I find once they`ve got over the initial excitement of there being a newbie in the house & they`ve had a good sniff of each other, they then seem to ignore one another. I would never leave them unsupervised though as cats claws can be quite nasty & even a play session that got a bit rough could cause a nasty injury to bunny.
Though to be honest i once saw one of my bridge bunnies kick out with his back legs & send my neighbours cat flying through the air! :shock: Fortunately she wasn`t injured but it just goes to prove that bunny can also get carried away & you should always be there to keep an eye on them.

Good luck with your search for a kitten.
Su.x

Thanks, that has reassured me.

As my house buns are both giants do you think I should wait till kitten bigger till introducing?

Also how long would you wait after bring till kitten comes home before intro to buns?

Thanks X

you will probably find the cat is scared of the buns :lol: :lol: i know a few people with cats and rabbits (me being one) and all our buns chase our cats away if they get fed up with them :lol:

Are you set on a kitten? It might be better to adopt a slightly older cat that you know how will react to other animals.

With giant buns I'd be just as worried about what the rabbits can do. One member on here had a bun that killed a cat and another owner contacted me for advise after her cat had to have 10 stitches after an attack from their bunny. Rabbits might be prey animals but they can attack very aggressively.

Tam

If you get a kitten and it grows up with your buns then they seem to bond well. My kittens are enamoured with the rabbits and when Frankie arrived here they were the only thing he showed any interest in.

I would worry about introducing a grown cat though as they tend to treat them as prey if they havnt grown up living with them.

haffyj said:
you will probably find the cat is scared of the buns :lol: :lol: i know a few people with cats and rabbits (me being one) and all our buns chase our cats away if they get fed up with them :lol:
:lol: :lol: That is so true my cats stay well clear of my bunnies.

Becca said:
haffyj said:
:lol: :lol: That is so true my cats stay well clear of my bunnies.

My Cat Tuna kept trying to play with Sugar one time in the end she lost her paitence and chased him away, then when he kept pestering Amber Sugar chased him again now he doesn't bother with any of them

I got my last two rabbits at the same time my nextdoor neighbour got two kittens then a few months later we got a golden retriever puppy and they all played happily in the garden together but my current rabbit wasnt brought up with any cats or dogs and is terrified of them :shock:

Kim_w said:
I got my last two rabbits at the same time my nextdoor neighbour got two kittens then a few months later we got a golden retriever puppy and they all played happily in the garden together but my current rabbit wasnt brought up with any cats or dogs and is terrified of them :shock:

Our buns are 18 months and nearly 2, do you think it will be a problem because they aren't young? They are so careful with the piggies so I hoped that the size difference wouldn't be too much of an issue. I am definitely more worried about the bunnies hurting the kitten rather than the other way round!

I have a Continental Giant housebun, Bigwig, who is free range. Two out of my three cats absolutely love him. One of my cats, Rosie, is blind and Bigwig adores her. When Darcy the Persian first came here he copied Rosie and both cats groom Bigwig's ears. I obviously never leave them together unsupervised but the three of them often sleep together on a big fleece under the radiator in the kitchen. My other cat Nala is not at all impressed by such goings on and stays well away!!

Bigwig is not good at all with other rabbits so I am happy that he does have some furry company.

Sarah

I think it is better to get a kitten, because when you adopt a cat you don't always know if it's used to hunting small animals. Some will kill rabbits, and I for one couldn't risk that. Might not be as much of a worry with big buns, but 3 of my 4 permanent buns are dwarfs.

We adopted two kittens last summer, and we chose them for nonaggressive, nondominant personalities. Eve is still a little hard to handle around the little buns because she wants to play, but she loves my big NZ foster Oberon! She thinks he's a long eared cat. Lily loves the little buns and follows them around begging for them to rub her belly. :lol:

Of course, territorial little Mocha doesn't like the cats. Fey, Loki, and Oberon aren't bothered by them and seem to like them, and Sprite is shy but okay with them.

naturestee said:
I think it is better to get a kitten, because when you adopt a cat you don't always know if it's used to hunting small animals. Some will kill rabbits, and I for one couldn't risk that. Might not be as much of a worry with big buns, but 3 of my 4 permanent buns are dwarfs.

I really think it depends on the cats personalities. I had my 2-year old cat, Worm, first and then had rabbits and when Worm first saw them she was all wide eyed with excitement and chased them a couple of times because they were something new. So I shouted and clapped my hands and she stopped doing it. Now I have a house rabbit and they really do get on well- Worm even grooms Audrey!

I also foster cats for a rescue and my most recent one Jasper, is a 12 year old stray. I was worried how he would be around Audrey and her friend Rowan, who has since passed away :( but he has always completely ignored them. The rabbits were rather disturbed by his presence at first and stamped their feets lots but now all is fine :thumb: However, I never let Jasper out of my sight if Audrey is not with me as I worry that he could hurt her unintentionally.

I think I would be extra wary of a kitten because they are so playful and could easily scratch a rabbits eye etc.

Back