• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dentals

cara

Alpha Buck
Lots of worries about dentals at the moment.

Sweep had one recently. Spurs on his molars - just a little redness on one side of his tongue I think, but enough to put him off pellets.

My question is - can it be a one off problem or is this something that will now crop up regularly?

Sweep is about 4 years and this is the first time we have had this problem. His diet is pretty good as he is free range, pellets once a day and hay ad lib.

I am so hoping this is a one off!

Cara

In my experience spurs on molars normally return though it is hard to say when as some rabbits need a dental every month or one every year.
Feed your rabbit loads of hay as that helps them to grind their back teeth down.

Urgent advice - should he be PTS!!

My little Gizmo (aged 2.5) is having terrible problems with his teeth and I need some urgent advice and thoughts. He first had to have his molars trimmed right down about 10 months ago we later found out has lots of cuts into his cheeks and this was caused because his teeth do not grow aligned and actually grow towards his cheeks which makes this problem worse. He had to have the procedure done again last September and today he has gone back to the vets as the problem has occurred again after only 3 months making it 3 times in 10 months - he eats lots of hay and green leafs but this does not help.
The vet has booked him in to have the dental on Monday but has suggested it might be kinder to put him to sleep! He was salivating so much that the vet could not see into his mouth properly today and thinks that this problem willy only get worse and he will almost definitly have to have a dental done every 2-3 months which obviously is stressful & painful for Gizmo but also costly.
I am totally against putting animals to sleep unless necessary especially if it is only due to money but what is the kindest thing to do for Gizmo? Our vet is very good and I know he is thinking of our costs but at the same time he would not suggest Gizmo being PTS just for that reason. WHAT SHOULD I DO??!!

Re: Urgent advice - should he be PTS!!

keileyoneill said:
My little Gizmo (aged 2.5) is having terrible problems with his teeth and I need some urgent advice and thoughts. He first had to have his molars trimmed right down about 10 months ago we later found out has lots of cuts into his cheeks and this was caused because his teeth do not grow aligned and actually grow towards his cheeks which makes this problem worse. He had to have the procedure done again last September and today he has gone back to the vets as the problem has occurred again after only 3 months making it 3 times in 10 months - he eats lots of hay and green leafs but this does not help.
The vet has booked him in to have the dental on Monday but has suggested it might be kinder to put him to sleep! He was salivating so much that the vet could not see into his mouth properly today and thinks that this problem willy only get worse and he will almost definitly have to have a dental done every 2-3 months which obviously is stressful & painful for Gizmo but also costly.
I am totally against putting animals to sleep unless necessary especially if it is only due to money but what is the kindest thing to do for Gizmo? Our vet is very good and I know he is thinking of our costs but at the same time he would not suggest Gizmo being PTS just for that reason. WHAT SHOULD I DO??!!

It sounds as though Gizmo has a problem with his tooth ROOTS aswell as his teeth. Once this happens, ie the roots grow incorrectly, the condition cannot be cured BUT it can be managed. This will involve regular Dentals. I know there are some Vets who feel able to do the Dental without a GA. My PERSONAL UNQUALIFIED opinion is that unless the Bunny is EXCEPTIONALLY calm I think it far too stressful for them to be awake during the dental.
Obviously repeated GA's carry risks. But your Vet can take extra precautions like giving Gizmo fluid therapy after the GA to support his Kidneys.
I have had numerous 'dental Bunnies'. Some who hardly have any teeth left due to advanced dental disease. I would only consider the PTS option if the individual Bunny had no quality of life in between each treatment or if severe osteomyelitis (bone infection secondary to infected tooth roots) caused the Bun pain not controlled by longterm antibiotics and analgesia.

Janex

Back