• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Animal Auctions

kayjay

Warren Veteran
I was having a coffee with GemmaH earlier and she was telling me about a local weekly animal auction that sells, amongst others, rabbits and guineapigs, very very cheaply. She says they pick up the rabbits and hold them up with their ears :evil:

How is this allowed to go on? Does anyone know? Gemma says the RSPCA are there but she's only seen them intervene once when some people were trying to cram chickens into a too small crate :(

This has really upset me, but there's no way I could go and choose one rabbit to rescue over another and then sleep at night :cry: :cry:

sillyrabbit said:
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Surely thats not allowed

Apparently so :evil: :evil: Gemma's father-in-law's a farmer, hence the animal auctions, but I kind of stupidly assumed these auctions would only have 'farming' animals

I've posted about this before, its awful isnt it :evil:

there is one in leicestershire:
http://www.meltonmowbraymarket.co.uk/

Celia told me that years ago they used to 'neck' the ones not sold :cry: And Ive also been told since that it can still go on :cry: Sometimes they sell for amounts like 50p :(

Ive discussed going to melton before with Celia to buy up a few pigs and buns, but like you I couldnt choose. Id have to say something like the first ten I would take, but Im still not sure whether I could bear it, but I feel selfish thinking that.

I didnt even know about them :oops:

poor animals. I would have thought that the rspca would have done something if they saw a rabbit being lifted by its ears :?

I dont understand why nothing is done about it if the rspca are there seeing it happen

I don't think its really possible to "rescue" animals like this since htey have most likely been bred for their meat. I think the most useful thing to do is to campaign against it in any (legal) way you can. Going and buying them only promotes the cycle. Its terribly sad but I think rehoming from a rescue is much more helpful in the long run.

Spacegirl said:
I don't think its really possible to "rescue" animals like this since htey have most likely been bred for their meat. I think the most useful thing to do is to campaign against it in any (legal) way you can. Going and buying them only promotes the cycle. Its terribly sad but I think rehoming from a rescue is much more helpful in the long run.

No, some are actually peoples pets! I imagine a fair few are breeders rejects also.

I see what you mean about promoting the cycle, but I dont actually think it does- these are many many random people from all over bringing these rabbits in- I dont think it makes any difference to them if you take them for 50p or not...but it would to the poor rabbits :cry: I suppose it does go back to that whole freeing up space arguement though :?

I wouldnt rehome from their myself, i was talking about when the rescue had a bit of space for some piggies, and I know other rescues on here have done the same.

mandy said:
Spacegirl said:

No, some are actually peoples pets! I imagine a fair few are breeders rejects also.

I see what you mean about promoting the cycle, but I dont actually think it does- these are many many random people from all over bringing these rabbits in- I dont think it makes any difference to them if you take them for 50p or not...but it would to the poor rabbits :cry: I suppose it does go back to that whole freeing up space arguement though :?

I wouldnt rehome from their myself, i was talking about when the rescue had a bit of space for some piggies, and I know other rescues on here have done the same.

:shock: How on earth do peoples pets end up in an auction??! That's awful!

Spacegirl said:
mandy said:
Spacegirl said:

:shock: How on earth do peoples pets end up in an auction??! That's awful!

I dont know but thats what Ive been told. They are defiently not all bred for meat...I guess its an ideal place for dodgy breeders to get rid of stock?

They have one near me and they are selling pet rabbits and surplus breeder stock. Guineas and rabbits. :evil: The RSPCA are always there. Terrible place for any animal to end up :(

Id actually be really tempted to rescue a 'meat rabbit'. Some of the things Ive read and videos Ive watched recently are just horrific :evil:

The poor things! I guess they'd probably never be very friendly pets but it would be nice to give them a life with lots of room to run around and nice food to eat rather than being stuck in a tiny wire cage all of their tiny short lives. (They are kept like battery hens :cry: ) The most common breed bred for meat are New Zealand Whites.

The one near us is at Clitheroe and is a fur & feather auction, none of the rabbits I've seen there when I used to go were meat rabbits in my opinion, they sell all sorts included mated does (some have signs up on the cages). I was saying to Kathryn that when the wire cages are full people just put the boxes in the pens and to show people what they are selling they hold the animal up, as Kathryn said I have seen them do this to rabbits by the ears :( . I rehomed some guinea pigs to a lady who bought some ill pigs from there as she felt she couldn't leave them in the condition they were in. Anyone can sell there as long as you have an auction number, another version of the Freeads I guess :(

Gemma that sounds very much like the one near me. Some arrive in bread crate type things :evil: Ive even seen buns in with chickens. I havent been in there for a long time now :?

They are not all bred for meat - some of them are even unwanted pets and very handleable!

Sue at Bracknell Rabbit Rescue ended up with a giant that someone had bought from an auction who a guy had bought becuase he couldn't bear the thought of him going to the pot. He was a lovely friendly bun!

Maybe the new animal welfare law will help put a stop to it :?

ive never ever been to one of these auctions, but i have heard about them from an ex who sometimes used to vist them with his mum as they kept huge avaries for their birds and he told me about how sometimes rabbits/gunieas turned up...

Im so glad i never went, when we were togehter i already had so many rabbits, going to one of them would have been murder for me, i would have cried and wanted to rescue them all!.

I believe Cheryl has also been to one of these Autions and rescued quite a few guineas from there

They sell them for 50p a go :cry:

Back