• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Free ad question - don't shoot me down!

B

BRACKEN

Some may recall I had an unexpected litter (not planned and I am not a breeder) nearly 4 weeks ago. Thanks to some very good advice from this forum they have all survived, seem healthy and are nearly 4 weeks old.

Having worried all the way throught as to whether they will survive I am now thinking that they just may and am now worrying about homes. I will be keeping one.

I have placed an advert in my local vet and pet food supplier stating the basics -"Black rex born 10/12 ready to go 12/2 £25". I have also added a note to the advert advising various points - should be paired, need 2 vaccines a year (we are high risk area), neutering, the size of housing needed and that they are not suitable for young children.

Now the question. I have seem much debate about free ads on this forum. However, from my point of view I want as many enquiries so I can
find the best homes. What should stop me putting an advert on free ads and then assessing those (if any) who ring?

Any other thoughts on finding good homes appreciated.

Linda

How about adding them to Rabbit Rehome? Althought I'm sure you are not allowed to charge money for them :)

Good luck in finding them the best of homes :) x

couldn't you contact a local rescue, if you can keep them for a little while until they can be found homes?

BTW not sure you should be trying to make money on them really :?

Could you not approach a Rescue? They would take them for a donation & you could be sure they were re-homed properly?

OR, maybe you could neuter them first, to prevent future breeding? & then do homechecks?

I know it may be costly, but you are responsible for their lives now, so its up to you to find them the best possible homes.

Having said all that, asking money is better than Free To Good homes

free ad

I am charging because from what I have read, they are more likely to end up being re homed (or used as live animal food) if they are given away.

I happily paid this price for good, healthy, genuine animals. If people are not prepared to pay for animals then I would ask - do they have the funding for caring for them? i.e vet fees.

If I knew of genuine good homes then the money is not important to me but personally would never expect to ge given animals for free.

If it were me I'd act like a rescue does, and do homechecks to ensure they're going to a good home. Just because someone hands over £25 does not guarantee a good home with adequate accommodation, yet if you are 'selling' them it's very hard to justify going round to look at someones house.

I'd be more inclined to offer them to pet homes with a homecheck required - if you want to request a donation that's up to you. An alternative would be to keep them until you can vaccinate them yourself and then offer them with a donation to cover the vet costs etc with homecheck again.

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with advertising them in the freeads though as long as you know the homes suitable

I too disagree with SELLING them. But thats not what you were asking

IF you put them on Free Ads then you are likely to be approached by the less reputable breeders searching for stock. My personal opinion is that if you advertise on Free Ads you should wait til you have got them all neutered first. Otherwise I think to sell/rehome them via Free Ads is irresponsible.

Janex

I dont think they are more likely to be rehomed or used as live animal food if you rehome them properly, no matter if you ask for money or not.

You will be doing homechecks and meeting the people who are interested if you are rehoming them yourself

And if you ask a rescue they wont let the buns go to bad homes

I didnt pay for Trip or Scarlett but I have enough money to care for them properly :?

The problem with trying to rehome them yourself, is how do you know what people are telling you is the truth? Unless you`re going to do homechecks and i`m not sure if many `Joe Publics` will just let a private individual come & check their facilities out then what way have you got of knowing for sure?
Personally i`d see if there was a rescue who could help you out.

Su.x

Jack's-Jane said:
IF you put them on Free Ads then you are likely to be approached by the less reputable breeders searching for stock.
Janex

I didn't know that Jane, how awful, but I don't think they'd pay £25 would they - I would guess they look more for the free or very cheap buns

cannonwoman said:
The problem with trying to rehome them yourself, is how do you know what people are telling you is the truth? Unless you`re going to do homechecks and i`m not sure if many `Joe Publics` will just let a private individual come & check their facilities out then what way have you got of knowing for sure?
Personally i`d see if there was a rescue who could help you out.

Su.x

BUT if you do ask for help from a Rescue I think you will need to make a significant donation to cover the cost of the Buns neutering/vaccinating.

I am not certain a genuine Mr/Mrs/ Ms Public would object to you checking out the Buns prospective new home :? To me it seems a perfectly reasonable request :?
Then again you all know me and 'people skills'...... :oops: :roll: :lol:

Janex

If I was rehoming animals I would expect people to let me carry out homechecks if they were interested :?

Seems a reasonable request to me too, I would think it was strange if someone wanted the bun but refused a homecheck :?

I'd ask a rescue to help you out, they can advertise the bunnies, and you can act like a foster home, would that not be best?

I'd also, NEVER give someone unneutered rabbits, as the temptation is still there for someone, and as you discovered, accidents happen. :wink:

Hope you find good homes for them! :D

[quote="Beebop]

I'd also, NEVER give someone unneutered rabbits, as the temptation is still there for someone, and as you discovered, accidents happen. :wink:

[/quote]
Agree with this 100%

Beebop said:
I'd ask a rescue to help you out, they can advertise the bunnies, and you can act like a foster home, would that not be best?

yes I think this is a good idea.

Linda, I fostered four baby rabbits a while ago for a rescue (coincidentally black rexes!). They were 4 weeks old and their Mum had died.

I know the lady at the rescue well and we agreed that they could be homed directly from me, which I was glad about as I had grown very fond of them and felt responsible for what happened to them.

I advertised them on RR and RIN on the forum and it took a while but eventually a wonderful forum member called Chloe offered all four of them a home together!! She had already been homechecked by two other rescues, one of which I contacted to ask about her so i was very happy for her to have them without a homecheck.

She gave a very generous donation for them which obviously went to the rescue, had them neutered herself when they were old enough and now they live in a big bonded group :D .

I am so so glad that they went to such a fantastic home and to know they are very happy and safe is really great :D

I think if I were you I would contact a rescue and ask them to direct enquiries your way or help you home them. Or you could put them on RR and RIN and other forums, NOT freeads, as like Jane has said this will attract undesirables.
Ask for a small donation perhaps to cover myxi jabs which you could get done and say that you are going to do a homecheck, or you would accept a reference from another rescue.

Im not against letting them go un-neutered, but understand that it is a worry in regards to breeding so i guess you need to weigh that up.....all four of my fosters were boys so it wasnt a problem and I was confident that Chloe would never keep them for breeding (At that point I had actually already contacted local vets about having them neutered and vaccinated and had been given a quote and if Chloe hadnt come along I was going to have them done first. Id also asked Jill Honeybunny and others what they thought of me doing that.)

Oh dear this is rather long isnt it :oops:

I would carry out homechecks too. Put them on RR and you can ask for a donation BUT I disagree with the principle of selling an animal. Charging £25 for a rabbit which will cost £100's if not £1000's of pounds in its lifetime is no guarantee it is going to a reputable home. Anyone can dig into their pocket to find £25 but not so many can find £60 vacs £50 neutering £200 housing plus other vets and feeding costs. The sale price and upkeep costs are too disproportional to prove anything about the state of the owner.

A house check however is a perfectly reasonable request and a good guarantee of a suitably responsible home.

*asking for a donation is not the same as selling as you are not buying the animal just its neutering and vacs and care.

I suppose it probably feels a bit wierd to ask to do a homecheck when you are not involved in rescue.

That is why it might be best to ask for the help of a rescue centre.

Back