• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hay experts timothy and rye???

Rallybunny

Warren Veteran
About 2 days ago, I opened a bag of Hay Experts timothy and rye for Evo. I smells a bit weird though, and feels a little tiny bit damp. There are also loads of flaky leaves in it. Is it normally like that, or have I got a dodgy bag?

Evo seems keen on it, but I haven't given him much because of it's "weirdness".

HI there,

I ordered the same bag, i contacted The Hay Experts and they assured me its fine and the leaves are supposed to be there :)

The hay just changes with the season, and weather.......they were really good though and sent me a new bag. My buns love it and have nearly scoffed the lot!

Rallybunny said:
Oh well, at least I don't need to go through picking out all the leaves then. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I nearly did!! but Lisa at THE is fantastic and i was a bit embarassed when i first complained and she said they were clover leaves (something like that anyway!) and that her buns love it :)

You do panic though when you first see it, especially when your used to something different!

take a picture.

It could be damp if the hay they use is not dried correctly.

We had a sample pack from there back in the summer when they had the first of the new season hay in and you could still feel the moisture in the hay:(, they even said it had only been cut a few days before ?????

Hay should take 3 months to dry correctly.

As long as it is stored correctly it wil be ok, but the shelf life will be very much reduced as spores will start to form and rot the hay. If it is starting to smell fousty (sp?) send it back as it means the mold is taking hold.

We threw out 12 bales of timothy yesterday as they were exposed to about 10 mins of rain when we were gettign them off the lorry and into our store.

I know that our in house accredited animal nutritionalist would not recommend damp hay at all.

Bunnybasics said:
As long as it is stored correctly it wil be ok, but the shelf life will be very much reduced as spores will start to form and rot the hay. If it is starting to smell fousty (sp?) send it back as it means the mold is taking hold.

It smells a bit damp, think I will enquire about sending it back. Cheers.

Back