• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to protect electrical cables?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hi,

I have always boxed off the section behind my TV, DVD player but no matter how much I box it up Harv and Primrose manage to scramble and squeeze themsleves through the tinest of holes. They now seem to have made it their nightly mission to crack, with me chasing them away and boxing it up even more every night.

Is there anything you do to protcet your power cables from bunnys teeth? Can you buy tubing etc to put around the wires?

Any tips welcome.

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

You can buy stuff especially for that, I've seen it made by JML in Woolies, but I'm sure we can get it front other places / other brands. We use the stuff that protects hydraulic hoses on diggers! :lol: O/h is a digger drive, and we got a load of it for £10.

Hi Laura :D ,

Thanks..I'll have to get some. Will have a look in Woolies when I get a chance. At the mo the area behind the TV is barricaded up like a fortress but they still manage to shove their way through. They will squeeze their way through the tiniest hole....little monkeys :D

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

I would suggest encasing thm in concrete if I were you...Maisie is a Grade A+ cable chewer, and she will stop at nothing to get to them :roll: :shock: :roll: :shock:

I use trunking for the straight lines around the room, I doubt many bunnys could chew through that. For the more windy needs then the twisty cable wrap is the stuff, woolies do it but also computer shops, Maplins, PC world etc sell it. I think its about £6 a pack.

mandy said:
What is trunking please? And what does the cable wrap look like?

thanks x

Trunking is a sturdy plastic square tube (sorry the best I can describe it). It is used to protect cables in areas that are exposed to the elements e.g. if you have run power to a shed etc).

Cable wrap is like spiralled plastic that be wound round cables that are need to remain flexible.

Cable Wrap
BL57M.jpg

Or even this one
CC26D.jpg

Mini Trunking
MTMIN1.JPG

Mini trunking is available from most hardware stores

or you can use an old hose pipe just thread the cables through like i had to do till i could get to the shops :lol:

RAYK47 said:
mandy said:
What is trunking please? And what does the cable wrap look like?

thanks x

Trunking is a sturdy plastic square tube (sorry the best I can describe it). It is used to protect cables in areas that are exposed to the elements e.g. if you have run power to a shed etc).

Cable wrap is like spiralled plastic that be wound round cables that are need to remain flexible.

Cable Wrap
BL57M.jpg

Or even this one
CC26D.jpg

Mini Trunking
MTMIN1.JPG

Mini trunking is available from most hardware stores

thank you! Thats very useful

Unfortunately, some enterprising bunnies still manage to chew through cable wrap. Mentioning no names of course!

Gasket.jpg

Who? Me? :roll:

We bought this to encase our games consoles, CD player and amp etc. and our telly is on top.

officedesk.jpg

Because it's a corner desk and it's backless, you can slide it into a corner where there are plugs, then the plugs are covered up and the bunnies can't get behind it, under it or on top of it!

AMETHYST

I have had a chinchilla chew tv/video cable and give me a electric shock had a cat chew speaker cable and a rabbit that chewed the main telephone cable and give me a big repair bill well I think it was rabbit. So them cable covers sound like a great idea.

Kittykat23uk said:
Unfortunately, some enterprising bunnies still manage to chew through cable wrap. Mentioning no names of course!

That is very true but I find with a double layer of it it should be thick enough, only time will tell.

I use the black tubbing that garden centres sell as hoses for pond pumps! And have used the waste pipe from an old washine machine :oops: ... washe dout, of course!

conduit electrical piping is the best, it is mainly used for outdoor use by electricians, so to protect the wires to outside lighting or ponds, specially designed so that moles and other animals cannot get to the wires. Because it is soo tough it is not bendable but you can buy joints so you can go round certain corners etc :D

This has been very useful - Millie who I have thought has never chewed in the 18 months since we have had her, has made up for lost time since Christmas - the modem cable, the keyboard cable and the mouse cable - my son spent last Sunday taking the computer apart before he found the problem :oops: :oops: Was I in trouble!!!
Jane

We've just moved house and are trying to bunny proof the house as we go along so that hopefully the buns will be allowed more access to more rooms than before. While in Ikea we found they do the cable tubing/trunking that is like a long tube, slit along one edge for you to pop your cables into. It's way cheaper than any other anywhere else I've seen - £2.49 for 5 metres and comes with a few cable ties to hold it closed if you have it stuffed full of cables! Unfortunately only comes in silver/grey but has proved good so far.

http://www.ikea.com/webapp/wcs/stor...Id=82388&langId=-20&chosenPartNumber=20097954

Back