• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Update on my little Alfie!

Katie

Mama Doe
Well if I remember rightly, the last time I posted, the vets had told us nothing more could be done, his jaw was so crooked that his mouth no longer opened and the seperators could not be placed in his mouth to clip his teeth. This meant that sooner or later he would stop eating and he would inecitably have to be put to sleep, the vet estmated in a few days.

Well the weekend went by and he was still eating :shock: still taking his syringe food and his weight was staying up above 650g!! He was happy as can be so we crossed our fingers and hoped for the best. TWO WHOLE WEEKS went by! and he was STILL eating, still very happy, not in pain or dribbling so much and his weight was still up! Well off we went back to Chrissies to decide what to do with him (rodentologist who clips his teeth) so she wrapped him up aaand IN went the seperators!!! It was a complete miracle! He defied everyone AGAIN!

So on he went for a long time! And then about a week ago we came downstairs and Alfies cage is in the lounge and absolutely everywhere was his syringe food, dribble, bits of dry food and hay all up th e walls all over the floor everywhere! It absolutely stank! And caked all over his face was the food aswell!

We cleaned him up as best we could and off to the vets he went (a long jouney because he has to go to a very knowledgable vet!) and it turns out that where he previously had his abcess (which had flared up again a couple of weeks before but was easily treated because we caught it in time) there had left a tube straight through right from a tooth root to his cheek! A hollow tube! So all he was eating and drinking was coming straight out the otherside! Of course he then shook his head like a dog and it sprayed everywhere! Anyway they told us again, nothing they could do and we'd just have to keep an eye on it.

So we stopped syringe feeding him, just hoping that his weigfht wouldn't drop too dramatically! And a week has gone by with no syringefood and his weight is still at just over 600g!! The food is still coming out but only a tiny bit, it seems it has healed over a bit - but the crazy thing was that he carried on eating like a normal guinea pig! I really don't know how on earth he does it !!!

But I'm soo happy he has! He must have hundreds of lives!!! He's still by no means a normal guinea pig but he's a fighter!! :D :D :D

Alfie9-1.jpg

(he has half his fur on his cheek shaved so he looks a bit of a sorry sight atm! this is from the summer!)

I loooove Alfie so Much. I know how much he means to you honey, and he wants to stay with his amazing family for ages and ages, thats why he keeps going with all these miracles!! :wink: Xx

Awww bless him.He is beautiful.
So glad he is doing so well.He certainly is a little fighter :D

Back