• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Help

Holly is being such a brat!
She shows interest in the new boy, but nips him as soon as he comes close to her. He hasn't mounted or groomed her, but I'm not sure he has thos social skills. How can I get the two of them to together? Should I restrict their space, becuase they have the whole room now? I can move them to a bathroom need be.
Thanks!

Leave them, she is complaining that she is not getting any attention. Once he starts grooming her or mounting her, they will then start to sort things out.

Sometimes these things take time :D

Thanks!
Holly was the same way at the rescue last night, but she showed the most interest in him. I want to try them in a smaller space because Holly and the boy (he still has no name :roll: :oops: :lol: ) keep moving apart and getting distracted by something (food, toys, etc.)

How big is the room they are in. Maybe you could try bonding them in the bath, Im sure I have read on here that people have used the bath. Or take them for a little drive in the car :D

They've been together in the bathroom for a couple of hours now and are no longer nipping at eachother, but still no grooming :?

They like eachother's company, and are sitting/laying by eachother, but that is the extent of their interaction.

That actually sounds pretty good to me. It may take several sessions for them to start grooming each other. Do they both like to be petted? I find it helps if you can pet them both at the same time, probably because it helps them associate each other with good things.

They both enjoy being petted (especially Harley), so I have started to pet them while they are near eachother. After being together for 8 hours yesterday they had a fight last night (a bad one, the kind in which they grab on and don't let go) so I put them away for about 30 minutes and then let them out again to share some veggies. After that they both got sleepy and decided to hit the hay.

I will try them toghether in a neutral space again, I'm hoping the two of them can be bonded by the end of the weekend since school is starting back up, but if they don't we'll manage.

Back