• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

One or two bunnys

00Geordie

Warren Scout
Been doing a lot reseach online and found some sites saying two rabbit to keep each other com. but then some saying one as long as you spend time with rabbit like I do anyway and I allways have had one but spend more time inside hopping around in house or my knee than in hutch.

Having got MJ for Pippa I'd go for two everytime as there's nothing better than seeing them cuddled up happily. However you need to be prepared for the rabbit to want to spend time with his partner rather than you.

Since seeing Trip and Malibu together I would say two bunnies :D

They dont get on now but will hopefully both be living with another bun by February

That could be hard for me as to me a rabbit is my baby. But just thinking that two lionhead would be nice as I have a two level hutch with a lot of toys in. but I don't want babys as I be able to part with them so I need two of same sex of get the op.

00Geordie said:
That could be hard for me as to me a rabbit is my baby. But just thinking that two lionhead would be nice as I have a two level hutch with a lot of toys in. but I don't want babys as I be able to part with them so I need two of same sex of get the op.

If you get 2 boys or 2 girls, they may start to fight when their hormones kick in anyway - so you will still need them neutering. Sometimes unspayed girls live together, but it's not guaranteed, & they are more at risk of ovarian cancer unless they are spayed...

00Geordie said:
So if I do get two best to get them done anyway. Thanks for advice something to consider.

If you get from a Rescue - usually they are done already & the rescue will charge an adoption fee of £20-£50 per bun (& bun may be vacs). If you get from a Breeder or petshop, they won't be neutered & each bun may cost you approx £100each to buy bun/get neutered/vaccs

& if you get one - best to get it done anyway re health risks of un-neutered buns & sexual frustration/hormones

They wouldnt have babies if you got them spayed and neutered

Like angie said it can stop ovarian cancer in girl buns too so it has health benefits :D

A girl and boy are supposed to be easier to bond. You would still get lots of love from them if you had a pair. When my two were together they did still jump all over me for their cuddles, and its sooo nice to see them snuggling and grooming each other.

How big is your hutch, you may need a larger one if you have two buns living in it

I would recommend getting a rescue pair already bonded and neutered, vaccinated etc... I think two together is best for outdoor bunnies as you can't spend as much time with them as house buns.

It was the best decision I ever made getting Pippa for Dillon, they are so in love and happy! Plus Dillon's behaviour hasn't changed towards me, he still acts like my baby even though he now has a wife :lol:

Good luck with your search. I saw your other post and I think these bonded pairs would be suitable and I'm sure a bunny run could be organised:

http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=7167
http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/moreinfo.asp?RabID=7267

Hutch size is L 4ft H 3ft W 1 1/2ft so I think that be big enogh for two buns. Have to get fly neting for when it's fly season.

00Geordie said:
Hutch size is L 4ft H 3ft W 1 1/2ft so I think that be big enogh for two buns. Have to get fly neting for when it's fly season.

4ft is considered to be a small hutch for two buns. Does it have an attached run to increase the space?

I dont think that is big enough for two buns.

Will they have access to a run? They should have enough room to be able to get away from each other if they need to

Back