• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding

RAYK47

Young Bun
A quick bit of advise please.

Our house rabbit (Roger) has a tendence to eat the paper in his bedding. So I was wondering if there is a better alternative or is it not really a problem. I say eat, thats not neccessarily the case but he completely wrecks it, sometimes 5 mins after it is cleaned out.

He has free roam of the downstairs.

Hello,

I think you'll find that whatever you put down your bunny will try to shred it up!!

I have a group of 3 living together and as soon as their litter trays are cleaned out, the first thing they do is pull up the paper and rip it to shreds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you could try getting him some toys to distract him from shredding the paper, or maybe give him an old telephone book to tear up instead?

lynda_m said:
Hello,

I think you'll find that whatever you put down your bunny will try to shred it up!!

I have a group of 3 living together and as soon as their litter trays are cleaned out, the first thing they do is pull up the paper and rip it to shreds :lol: :lol: :lol:

Maybe you could try getting him some toys to distract him from shredding the paper, or maybe give him an old telephone book to tear up instead?

Thanks lynda

He has quite a lot of toys and rarely pays them much attention. Unless he is throwing his ball around. We even tried the cardboard tubes but he completely ignores them. As long as it wont cause him any harm I wont worry obout it, afterall he does not really spend much time in there anyway.

When Pippa lived indoors she shredded the newspaper but I don't think it does them any harm. Now they're in the shed I throw them paper and they jump on it, it's the only toy they play with :lol:

kayjay said:
When Pippa lived indoors she shredded the newspaper but I don't think it does them any harm. Now they're in the shed I throw them paper and they jump on it, it's the only toy they play with :lol:

Cheers, I guess I wont be too worried about it then.

I have given up trying to provide bedding for my buns. They just toss it everywhere! They seem happy lying on an old mat.

00Geordie said:
so the ink on paper be ok then.

I would expect that the printers would have to use some sort of non toxic print anyway, the way regulations are these days.

I was more worried about him being able to pass it OK.

I have given up trying to provide bedding for my buns. They just toss it everywhere! They seem happy lying on an old mat

I know :lol:

Mine are exactly the same they will kick their bedding all over the place

RAYK47 said:
lynda_m said:
Hello,

Thanks lynda

He has quite a lot of toys and rarely pays them much attention. Unless he is throwing his ball around. We even tried the cardboard tubes but he completely ignores them. As long as it wont cause him any harm I wont worry obout it, afterall he does not really spend much time in there anyway.

How old is he and is he neutered?

My two boys used to be a bit destructive before they were neutered.

Shouldn't worry though, its perfectly normal behavious, after all, buns will be buns! :D

My boy has loads of toys but throw him a piece of paper and he will play with it for hours!! He rips it up and runs around with it in his mouth!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Goosd alternative to newspaper is a tough cardboard box, mine work together to rip them apart, helps keep their teeth down!!! And they enjoy making the mess. glad mine aren't the only messy buns!!

Yup very true, goes mad on newspapers, i think they might like the sound too. Norah has got a few favs and mainly chews GQ and BBC History magazine, i firmly believe that it's her way of absorbing info. Last time she'd shredded the latter and ran to her water bowl to drink, my partner remarked: 'History is very dry...' :lol:

but seriously, you reckon ink is relatively safe?

Hiya,

If you're worried the ink you could get food-grade paper bags - like the ones you get cakes in from bakeries. Then fill them up with a mix of hay and a few pellets or his favourite treats. That way you have a great toy that involves what he likes doing :) You can get the bags off ebay.

Another toy he might like if he enjoys throwing his ball around is a treatball. You put their pellets inside and they fall out a small hole as they throw the ball around.

Tam

Back