• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

2 boys neutered today. Advice needed

holder

Alpha Buck
My 2 boys have gone in to the vets today to be neutered, i can't have them in the house when they get back because of Honey & she as free range of the house, so they have to go back in to the garage untill they can go in to the wendy house, can you tell me the best thing to put on the bottom of the cage because of the stitches, i have always put in lots of hays but i'm worried that it might catch the stitches.
I know the vet will tell me but what do you have to look out for when they come home to make sure they will be ok.
Any advice at all will be great.
Many thanks for your help :D

Towels, vetbed or puppy pads (I got mine from the vets) - anything that won't stick to their sore bits like hay or shavings.

Hope they go ok x

Thanks :D i have news papers & towels, i had Honey sprayed but it was different as she is an house rabbit & i cauld keep an eye on her all the time, but i'm worried with them being in the garage & not be able to watch them all the time, they are so close but the vet told me they cauld start fighting with them being males, i thought once they had bonded they would not fight but now i will watch them more closely

Hi,

When i had my two boys neutered, i shredded some newspaper and put that down, and placed some clean towels on top. i kept checking their wounds and now they have healed lovely. As long as you dont get any bits of hay in there, it should be fine. You dont even need to shred the newspaper, its just softer for them. The towels will also absorb any bits of blood etc. Just make sure they are warm, you will probably find that their ears are cold, as the blood is rushing to their wounds in order for it to heal. When Benji came back from the vets he was very very sleepy and his was cold, so i put a warm water bottle in with him to keep him warm. Just make sure they are warm and they will be fine, theyll just sleep it off.

joanne x

Well i have got them both back, & they seem fine, they was eating but the bit bigger rabbit pushed the smaller one out of the way & then he went to sit on his own, now i have them both in my spare bedroom as it as turned cold outside, but now i'm watching them more i have noticed the bigger one is pushing the smaller one around.
What can i do to stop this, i have no where else to put him, they are not fighting but it is worrying me.

Hi Holder,

As you know we have just had ours 'done' - we were worried the first night about this as Mow was a bit more under the weather than Barley.

Barley wanted to play but Mow wasn't having it, eventually Barley got the message and settled down - maybe yours are doing this same!

Good luck

Dave an Jo

Thanks Dave & Jo you are right, today he as settled down great today, they are back to normal, eating well & running a round the cage, i hate them in this cage as it is not big enough for 2 rabbits to be in for to long, but next week they are both going in to the wendy house :D

One f them looks great down below but the other one looks swollen & sore, but i will take him back tomorrow if they have not gone down.

Back