• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Willow - Bald Patch Update

Suzanne

Mama Doe
Willow has a small bald patch on his back - his fur is quite thin anyway as he was badly neglected before we rescued him 2 months ago. Yesterday I noticed a small area of what i thought was new fur growing. i was going to mention this to the vet at his next dental. I've just checked this area again and now there is a small bald patch next to this 'new fur'.

Any ideas what this coud be? He is a single house bun but is their any chance of this being passed on to our other buns in the shed via us? We were going to take him for a dental check next week but might bring it forward so we can get this looked at. The dark area is very short fur.

Picture301.jpg

Picture302.jpg

has he recently been vaccinated? I think particularily VHD can cause that.

Otherwise, perhaps it could be mites which is fairly easy to treat.

How is he doing now?

No he's not been vacinated yet - vet wanted to wait til he's stronger. I thought about mites but is it something the bun catches from somewhere or does it just come for no reason? doing some internet searches now.

I think stress or low immune system can sometimes cause it- Audrey had mites when she first came to live with me and I was told she had never been with other animals.

As I understand it, it can be quite bad if left untreated but is easily cured- Audrey just had one ivormec injection and after several weeks the hair grew back.

I would wash hands between seeing your other buns in the meantime and you could also perhaps get them ivormec spot on from P@H as a precaution- see what your vet thinks.

It could be something else though?

Mites are contagious and once caught tend to reoccur in bunnies that are stressed or have low immune systems (esp. after neutering or an illness). The area looks inflammed, has he been scratching or biting it?

Has he had any Baytril injections? It looks like 'Baytril Burn' to me
I would ask your Vet about whether he/she thinks using some Aloe Vera Gel on the inflammed area might be a good idea

Janex

OH took him to the vets and she confirmed that it is mites. We have to collect some drops for him tomorrow. OH never asksed what they were so I don't know - Any ideas? I would have thought an injection would be better. She says we don't need to treat the others as they are not in direct contact with Willow.

She also checked his teeth again and said they were ok. She filed them down but said that he could have gone another two weeks before doing them. She managed to do it without a GA which is good progress considering how skitish he was.

Suzanne said:
OH took him to the vets and she confirmed that it is mites. We have to collect some drops for him tomorrow. OH never asksed what they were so I don't know - Any ideas? I would have thought an injection would be better. She says we don't need to treat the others as they are not in direct contact with Willow.

She also checked his teeth again and said they were ok. She filed them down but said that he could have gone another two weeks before doing them. She managed to do it without a GA which is good progress considering how skitish he was.

They offer an injection for extreme infestation, sometimes it can take up to three courses to clear them. The injection isnt registered for use on mites though but it is very effective against them.

No idea what the drops are... we have only had injections.

Back