• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit anal glands

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
For the first time ever tonight, Jen grunted at me when I had my hands in her hutch :cry: She's so ready for her spay tomorrow - her bunny hormones are turning her into quite a little madam :shock:

Anyway, after she grunted at me I thought I'd better check her over throughly in case she was grumpy through pain from an injury, rather than just hormones! I did this and she was fine, although I noticed what looked like a little flap of skin adjacent to her lady bits :oops: I've just absolutely panicked and was about to ring the emergency vet when I thought I'd better just check the 'wound' again so that I had a proper description of where it was, etc. In doing this I spotted the same thing on the other side too :shock:

I held off the phone call and have just been looking at some diagrams of, *cough*, bunny anatomy.. am I the only person that didn't realise that buns have anal glands down there??! :oops: :oops:

Haha i love bunny anatomy books! I used to get the circle/slit diagrams as a child and then when I started to get "adult" rabbit books I was shocked. I was aware of them but have never had a good look, does are far too fidgety!

:lol: Funny you should say that... that was one of the reasons I was checking her so carefully given the previous gender confusion :oops: They are definitely her anal glands though - I asked the vet to have a peek this morning and he confirmed that for me :lol:

You are not the only one - after Zeus' neuter got infected I was cleaning that area daily and that was when I first discovered the glands - so I cleaned them out too - OMG the smell :shock: . I also rang my vet and he very nicely explained to me what they were :oops: - I didn't have this forum then!

The most embarassing thing was when I rang them the first time Zeus' wee turned red :oops: . I was reminded of it the other day when my father was in a panic whilst babysitting my current bunny as hers was a lovely dark orange.

Caz

Back