• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Molly has just nipped Bertie

karen354

Warren Veteran
Okay Bertie & my rescue bun Molly haven't been bonded yet..
When Bertie's out Molly watches from the Conservatory, I feel so sorry for her because she wants to be out with us all the time having fun..
I decided when bertie is out I would open the Conservatory door but put a piece of the outdoor run in between, I thought that would work great Molly can still hear us & her & Bertie can sniff each other..
My poor Bertie went up to see her & she nipped him through the bars.. Poor boy he's so scared of her now he's twice as heavy as her but afraid of her..
Do you think when she's spayed it might stop her bitting him ?

I think spaying will definitely help. Also, don't forget that they are each in their own territories at the moment so will feel defensive of it. Furthermore, nipping is all part of the bonding process (I should know - see my thread in the Rabbit Chat section! :lol: :roll:), so I wouldn't worry at all about it.

When you do get to bonding them, do it in a totally neutral area that neither of them have ever been in, and that should eliminate the defensive side of things. Good luck! :thumb:

AMETHYST

The nipping when they are separated by wire is all a teritorial thing. This is why it is so important to do the bonding on neutral territory whilst de-teritorising their old ares if they are to be put back there.

This will have no impact on when / if you bond them together.

I was planning on bonding the two in the shed & run outside they have both not been in there yet.. There is no where else I could think of..
Bertie has been in my little lads room a few times but not much, do you think that would work ?

Hi Karen, I'll be bonding my girl and boy shortly and I'm planning on doing it in the bathroom. May sound weird, but I've been told it's a really good place to do it as it's quite small (well, mine is) and it's completely unlike their own territories. Having said that, I've no idea whether it would be a problem to bond them in the shed and run, it may be perfectly fine if niether of them has been in there yet.

I use the bathroom cos it's somewhere none of my buns go so is completely neutral, cos it's built to get wet so is easier to clean and also there's nothing they can chew or damage in there - :roll: Now I've gone and said it! :roll:

chloaster said:
I use the bathroom cos it's somewhere none of my buns go so is completely neutral, cos it's built to get wet so is easier to clean and also there's nothing they can chew or damage in there - :roll: Now I've gone and said it! :roll:
Yep :D Now you've gone and done it.... sod's law dictates that your buns will now work at becoming the first porcelain-eating buns in history!!!! :D

Back