• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Has anyone successfully treated pasteurella?

bunnymaid

New Kit
Hello

I am new to the forum and would like to hear from anyone who has successfully treated pasteurella. My girl bunny, carrots, has been on treatment for a few weeks for pasteurella and is making very slow progress. She is still really snotty and I am cleaning her nose approximately 10 times a day. She is now breathing in and out of her nose but I am wondering whether it will every completely clear. I am feeding her with a syringe and giving her antibiotics, decongestant powder and anti-inflammatory medication. I also use an oil burner and burn Olbas oil for her as well.

Is there anything else I could be doing for her as I can't bear to see her distressed and her partner, Pumpkin would be lost without her?

Thanks for your advice.

:?

I'm am no great expert but I did rescue a bun with very bad snuffles and after treating her for a couple of weeks with Baytril the vet gave her different medication called Zithromax. This cleared her up but then it came back again and she went on another course and 6weeks later she is still ok. I think all rabbits carry the bacteria which causes snuffles or pasturella but only some rabbits develop the symptoms and untreated it can develop into pneumonia and kill the bun. The vet did tell me that it is quite possible that Bilbo will probably be on medication for the rest of her life due to her age and the severity of her snuffles - it got onto her chest but fortunately not her lungs but we are waiting to see how she goes. Other buns have had snuffles and after a week of Baytril are back to there usual selves. I think it can depend on the strain they develop - there are 21 different ones - and also the condition of the bun and stress too can exasperate it. Other people will be able to give you advice on other medications as I know there are alternatives. Hope you girlie makes a full recovery.x

I have used Echinasea on any buns I have had which have had snuffles to boost their immune system. You can either use thee capsules and put it in their food bowl. As drops in their water or using half a tea bag sprinkled on their food.

Bisolval can also help them if they have lots of secretions.

Yes, I have, my little Mack had pasturella when I rescued him , along with a whole host of other things wrong with him, he is still doing well.

I take it the vet has administered medication?

My vet injected depocillan and I continued the injections every other day for 3 weeks and then 2 a week for 3 weeks and then 1 a week for 3 weeks and now nothing!!

Thanks for advice on pasteurella

Thanks to everyone who offered advice on pasteurella.

My bun was making little progress until I spotted a small piece of hay sticking out of her nose a few days ago. When I pulled it out it was about 2 inches long and covered in thick snot. Since then she has done really well and has at last started to eat on her own. I am still giving her antibiotics but with each day she is a little better and is now nearly back to her normal self. I am so relieved that I didn't have her put to sleep! No more straw or hay for my buns apart from what is in their food. Once bitten twice shy :wink:

Take care.

Re: Thanks for advice on pasteurella

bunnymaid said:
Thanks to everyone who offered advice on pasteurella.

My bun was making little progress until I spotted a small piece of hay sticking out of her nose a few days ago. When I pulled it out it was about 2 inches long and covered in thick snot. Since then she has done really well and has at last started to eat on her own. I am still giving her antibiotics but with each day she is a little better and is now nearly back to her normal self. I am so relieved that I didn't have her put to sleep! No more straw or hay for my buns apart from what is in their food. Once bitten twice shy :wink:

Take care.

Hope she's getting better - she will need a constant supply of hay though for her health - hopefully she'll eat it rather than stick it up her nose!

Back