• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jen's spay on Thursday - UPDATE, she's fine!

Morrigan1981

Mama Doe
Jen is booked in for her spay at 9am this Thursday... I'm already terrified for her :( Any extra vibes you have spare on Thursday would be gratefully received! I am going to be a very worried bunny mummy all day :(

I have an indoor cage that I'm going to set up for her tomorrow evening ready for when I collect her Thurs pm. She's usually an outdoor bun - the playroom where the cage is situated is curently unheated, so should I keep it that way or put the heating back on in there?

How long should I keep her indoors for after her op?

Can I use the usual sawdust / straw as bedding whilst she's a convalescent, or will this irritate the wound?

What do I need to make sure she receives at the vets in terms of painkillers, etc?

Apologies for all the questions... I'm soo aware that it's a pretty major op for my little bun, and I want to make it as pain free as possible for her :(

Thanks x

Can't offer that much helpful advice, but Damson is being castrated tomorrow, I plan to keep him in overnight on just newspaper with some hay to much, I worry that woodshavings would scratch the wound. I will turn the radiator in the bathroom off, he has a nice thick coat, but I am going to put a snugglesafe under his box. I won't put it in the box as they advise against putting it directly under hay if an animal has had an anaesthtic (?) as they will be too dopey to move and might burn. I only plan to keep him in one night and don't want too much in the way of painkillers, the pain will stop him leaping about and pulling stitches out!
So good vibes to you, when I collect him tomorrow night I am dropping my three boar pigs off as they are all being castrated on Thurs, bit of a week of it for my boys this week! Good vibes for my boys too please! Good luck xx Jess

I would ask the Vet if they routinely give post operative gut motility medication (metoclopromide) and pain relief (metacam) My Vet spays hundreds of Bunnies and has developed an excellent care plan involving a spay with a TINY incission, internal dissolvable sutures, post op' metoclopromide and pain relief. All my Does recover VERY quickly.

I would use either Vetbed or towels for bedding for a few days. She will need to be indoors for at least 24 hours, but if you intend her to go outdoors again after that I would not put the central heating on. Just provide lots of warm bedding and a Snugglesafe heatpad.

She should have nibbled at some food and poo'd within 12 hours of the op'. So ask the Vet what time the proceedure was done so you can monitor her recovery timescale-wise.
Post op' Bunnies often prefer to drink from a water bowl rather than a bottle. Gratted carrot, fresh herbs and finely sliced very dark spring greens are good for tempting Bun to eat.

Sending Vibes for Jen!!!

Janex

Awww Good Luck Jen & Tracie.

We use paper and towels for bedding and keep them indoors for 48 hours max. Make sure her fav foods are available as soon as she gets home and leave her to rest for a while. Sometimes they are still a little unsteady on their feet when they get home and just want to sleep.

My vet has also been perfecting his technique, I could barely see the incision on the last boy we had neutered!

Agree with Jane's advice, Daisy - May was my last bun to go in for a spay and like has been said I brought her in for 24hours, gave her greens, SS and hay. Sawdust is best off avoided as it can get stuck to the wound and vets advise against hay sometimes too but it's Daisy's fave so I gave her some. The snugglesafe was apreciated too as you can see in the photo, buns find it hard to keep warm when they are healing and the heat also helps relieve some of the discomfort. Your vet will be able to tell you what meds she has been given, she shouldn't need to go back for more and will require a post op check about three days after. Make sure you keep feeding her as normal up to the morning as some people are advised to starve their bun the night before and this is a big no no! Best Wishes for Thursday - I've got four of Jill's going in Friday.x

CIMG4527.jpg

Good luck :) Amy was spayed in November, I kept her indoors for a week but would recommend going back outside after a day or so if you can (I couldn't as she has a hutch with a run underneath + vet advised no jumping up and down the ladder for a week or so).

I kept her on Vetbed, towels and blankets, with a Snugglesafe in her bed area. Gave her hay to eat but not so she could sit on it for first 24 hours just in case any went in wound. Got her greens + yummy herbs in to tempt her to eat. Also as has been said they prefer a bowl of water to a bottle after the op.

Apart from that just made sure she was eating that night + she was kept nice + quiet. She recovered really quickly + was soon hopping about causing mischief!!!

Hope all goes well.

Nicola

My little girl is being done 9th Jan I'm really dreading it..
I know she needs it done though if my two buns are going to bond.
I've put like a child gate up so the buns can't hurt each other but can see each other she is still managing to nip him through the bars though.

Good luck, hope you bun recovers soon.
karenx

Thank everyone. I'll prepare the indoor cage for her tonight - I don't have any vetbed though. Does anyone know where I could buy some in time for tomorrow? Failing that, I do have plenty of towels I can use.

Jane - it was the metacam I was thinking of, I just couldn't remember the name! I would have loved to have Jen to Christobel and I was seriously considering doing so, but I don't drive and my OH couldn't take the time off work to come down to London with us :(

I'll be bringing Jen home on Thurs eve so I'll keep her in until Sat morning I think... Friday morning is too soon but I'd rather not put her back out Friday night when it's dark and chilly, so I'll wait until the next morning!

Just to confirm, will she also need to be kept off the straw and hay when she goes back outside then? If so, will I need to line her hutch with towels? We have a big piece of carpet that I could cut to size to cover the hutch floor with, if that sounds like a good idea?

I'm such a worrier :?

Provided you use the soft barley straw I have always been told its ok, after the initial healing period, to return them to their original bedding type (just clean the hutch out first).

Thanks Sooz :thumb: Right, all that's left to do now then is get to the shops and stock up on tasty treats to tempt my little girl after her op tomorrow... I'll let you all know how she gets on!

Hi,

Two of my girlies were payed last week and are doing just fine now. I just brought them home and left them in their cages indoors. I removed the hay from the litter tray and just put newspaper and carefresh in and left the hay in a rack on the side of the cage.

I also covered the bottom of the cage with vet bed - which has proven to be pricless as they snuggled up on it straightaway and slept all day and night!

They just need some quiet space, my vet also told me not to leave them in the pitch black or in a bright light, so we put a dim lamp in there instead.

Hope everything goes well - sending Jen lots of vibes

xx

I've just left Jen at the vets - I asked them and they assured me that she would get metacam and the gut stimulant, so it all sounds good. It doesn't stop me worrying though :(

I just hope and pray I don't get the phone call at 11am I got with Vincent :cry: :cry:

I've got my fingers crossed for you that it goes ok. I've sworn that the next rabbit I get will be already spayed/neutered so I don't have the worry.

An update..

I picked Jen up at 5pm and she's actually surprisingly perky! She's had metacam and a gut stimulant. I left a little packed lunch of her favourite foods and pellets for after the op and the vet said that she had eaten most of that :thumb:

I popped her into the indoor cage when we got home and she immediately drank some water and had a wee, then started tucking into some hay and dried grass. I checked her about half an hour later and she's provided me a big pile of poos, so all in all good stuff! :love: :love:

Fingers crossed she continues to recover well. I guess she might be a bit quieter once the painkiller wears off, but I am very pleased that she seems to be eating and poo'ing / wee'ing so well :D

Thank you all for the vibes for my little lady xxx

Morrigan1981 said:
An update..

I picked Jen up at 5pm and she's actually surprisingly perky! She's had metacam and a gut stimulant. I left a little packed lunch of her favourite foods and pellets for after the op and the vet said that she had eaten most of that :thumb:

I popped her into the indoor cage when we got home and she immediately drank some water and had a wee, then started tucking into some hay and dried grass. I checked her about half an hour later and she's provided me a big pile of poos, so all in all good stuff! :love: :love:

Fingers crossed she continues to recover well. I guess she might be a bit quieter once the painkiller wears off, but I am very pleased that she seems to be eating and poo'ing / wee'ing so well :D

Thank you all for the vibes for my little lady xxx

Sounds like Jen is doing really well!! :D :D

Janex

Morrigan1981 said:
I've just left Jen at the vets - I asked them and they assured me that she would get metacam and the gut stimulant, so it all sounds good. It doesn't stop me worrying though :(

I just hope and pray I don't get the phone call at 11am I got with Vincent :cry: :cry:

Ohhh i didnt know you lost a rabbit at the vets. Im so sorry :( Im glad jen is doing Ok, I had my fingers crossed all day for her! (it made work very hard!)

Aww, Jen thanks you for the vibes Sooz! :love:

I lost my previous bun Vincent when he went under a GA for a dental - he was a rescue bun and an old man (about 6yrs). His teeth were in such poor condition when he came to me that he needed spurs removing from them every six weeks (he was very fussy about eating his hay) and on that occasion he just didn't pull through :(

Jen is still doing well this morning - she started to get a bit quiet and sleepy as the evening went on, but during the night she ate most of her pellets and continued poo'ing. I changed her towel this morning and she thanked me by doing a huge wee on the clean one, so everything is OK there too :lol:

She's decided she prefers to lie on the bottom of the cage rather than on the towels... everytime I rearrange them to make her a nice soft bed she immediately digs it back up and flings it into the centre of the cage. Naughty bun! :lol:

Feels weird being at work and not at home with her :(

Back