• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

VHD

vets have now got the vaccine so booked harvey for his VHD on thursday half 9 (will also be told if can get harv neutered early than 6 months if his bits have dropped enough :D )
anyways are there any side affects i need to keep an eye on after the jab or anything i need to do for him?
many thanks
x x x

Some buns do develop a limp for a few days, but mine have always been fine. You dont need to do anything for him, He'll be fine :) X

Some Bunnies are a bit quiet for 24-48 hours after the Vaccination. Also, some Rabbits develop a slight front leg limp for a day or so. This is thought to be caused by some of the vaccine, which is oil based, hitting a nerve effecting the front leg. Administering the vaccine off-centre in the scruff, using a different sterile needle to give the injection from the one used to draw it up and massaging the vaccination site for a few minutes after administering it can minimise the risk of 'VHD Limp'.
There is now a new VHD Vaccine available called Lapinject. I dont know if it has the same potential side-effects as the Cylap one.

Janex

One of my buns had a scab where the injection was done but other than that they were both fine

Bundle was ok with the first VHD jab she had as a baby but had a very bad reaction to the booster. She was really off colour for a couple of days, went right off her food (which is very unlike her! :lol: ) and seemed stiff and in pain - she could barely move around and seemed to be wincing :( I took her back to the vet who said that it was an adverse reaction the the jab. She said she had seen a number of buns who'd reacted badly to it and also advised me against having further VHD boosters as the reaction would get worse over time instead of better.

Having read numerous posts on here I would say that Bundle's reaction was probably the exception rather than the rule, and I am definitely going to get Weedie's jab done now that he's recovered fully from his op. Am undecided what to do about Bundle's boosters going forward though.... :? :?

My Honey had a limp for a couple of days & was quite she didn't look well but she soon picked up.

Bundle said:
Bundle was ok with the first VHD jab she had as a baby but had a very bad reaction to the booster. She was really off colour for a couple of days, went right off her food (which is very unlike her! :lol: ) and seemed stiff and in pain - she could barely move around and seemed to be wincing :( I took her back to the vet who said that it was an adverse reaction the the jab. She said she had seen a number of buns who'd reacted badly to it and also advised me against having further VHD boosters as the reaction would get worse over time instead of better.

Having read numerous posts on here I would say that Bundle's reaction was probably the exception rather than the rule, and I am definitely going to get Weedie's jab done now that he's recovered fully from his op. Am undecided what to do about Bundle's boosters going forward though.... :? :?

you could ask your vet if it is possible for them to check bundle's antibody titre levels with a blood test. i dont know if they do it for rabbits but they certainly do for dogs and cats :wink:

Back