• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Snuffles and Baytrill

Shazza

Warren Scout
Hi,

I'm after a bit of advice. Bella has been snuffly of late and has been on the baytrill since the saturday before xmas. She is fine in herself and eating well. But she has a wet nose and had sounded a bit snotty. No sneezing though and it hadn't progressed to her lungs. The vet has checked her out on Friday and said she was getting better and sounding a lot better but she is on a daily 0.7ml dose for another 5 days of baytrill too as her nose is still wet.

However, it is now Tuesday and still the problem persists. This is the 3rd time she has been ill with this (once a couple of years back and 6 months ago when she lost her husbun) - I'm wondering if she is becoming immune to the baytrill? Is this possible - I'm sure i've heard of this? If so, are there other options? Any advice please?

Baytril may not be the best thing for snuffles. Some people have had Septrin for their snuffly buns (AlisonA?) but I don't think this is licensed for bunnies, so some vets are reluctant to use it.

My Salt (white nethie in my sig) has snuffles, and it seems to be set off by different types of bedding. I use the wooden cat pellets now, as they're less dusty.

I've the same problem with one of mine only she's on Septrin rather than Baytril. She's been on it since 22nd Dec and no change, Baytril didn't work either. It might be worth trying yours on Septrin though as lots of people have had success with it

Yes my Vet does not bother with Baytril when treating RTIs She starts off with Septrin (Co-trimoxazole) and if no improvement after 10 days she moves on to Depocillin INJECTIONS.
Some Rabbits appear to respond well to Oxytetracycline.

Vets can prescribe 'off-licence' (there are very few drugs actually licenced to use on Rabbits) but they are advised to treat with licensed drug FIRST unless it is clinically unlikely that the licenced drug will work. Vets who dont treat many Rabbits are unlikely to be aware that Baytril is seldom a useful antibiotic for 'Snuffles'

Janex

My vet put Bilbo on Zithromax, which is actually a human medicine. It's expensive (about £18 a bottle) but it knocked her snuffles on the head big time.x

Miffy was on Baytril for a respiratory infection back in the summer, and she responded well. However, my vet did say that some bunnies don't respond so if the Baytril didn't work after the course was finished, he'd try her on something else.

I hope Bella feels better soon!

AMETHYST

Hi, thanks for your advice.

Well, it never rains, it pours... I picked up Bella for her last baytril last night and beside still being snuffly, I found a big scab on the pour babes back. Looks like maybe her and BB had a falling out recently although they seem to be getting on fine and I've never found anything like it before. So a sleepless night and visit to the vets this morning. She is now on a new course of different antibiotics (something beginning with M - can't remember what it's called) to fight the snuffles and the infection from the scab. She may need it stitching, but I'm keeping an eye on it. And some eye drops too.

So, hopefully she's make a recovery from everything. Now I have to keep an eye on BB - if he was the culprit. Both are neutered. They are staying at nanna's whilst I prepare and move house in 2 weeks time. So there's all that stress to add into it and they don't get as much freedom there at the moment as they do at home. Ho-hum, I feel like a bad bunny mummy today. :cry:

Shazza said:
Hi, thanks for your advice.

Well, it never rains, it pours... I picked up Bella for her last baytril last night and beside still being snuffly, I found a big scab on the pour babes back. Looks like maybe her and BB had a falling out recently although they seem to be getting on fine and I've never found anything like it before. So a sleepless night and visit to the vets this morning. She is now on a new course of different antibiotics (something beginning with M - can't remember what it's called) to fight the snuffles and the infection from the scab. She may need it stitching, but I'm keeping an eye on it. And some eye drops too.

So, hopefully she's make a recovery from everything. Now I have to keep an eye on BB - if he was the culprit. Both are neutered. They are staying at nanna's whilst I prepare and move house in 2 weeks time. So there's all that stress to add into it and they don't get as much freedom there at the moment as they do at home. Ho-hum, I feel like a bad bunny mummy today. :cry:

Awww you are NOT a bad Bunny Mummy. Was the new antibiotic MARBOCYL?

Did the Vet give Bella any injections over the last week or so? Baytril in particular can cause a skin reaction so maybe BB is not the culprit :?
I hope Bella is soon much better

Janex

Thank you - I was having one of those bunny-mummy moments.

Yes, that the antibiotic. Injections - I did wonder if that was the problem last night, but she had the injection nearly 2 weeks ago and it's maybe a little too far down her back I think for that. Not sure.

BB was grooming her in that area after i dropped them back from the vets - so he's being attentive (or maybe he's feeling guilty!) It's difficult to say really, as we have a huge rigmarole trying to pick her up (she hates being picked up) for medicine and whether she's injured herself dashing about the hutch trying to hide. :? poor poppet.

Back