• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mix or pellets

00Geordie

Warren Scout
Do you recomend pellets or mix as I used to give a bit of both to my rabbit that I had a few months back I used excel pellets and mix but I have been read that could why she had the runs as exel pellts can cause that. But I belived the more pricer the food the better it be for pet.
And I have to say I like mix better as pellets look boring, but rabbit allways like both and was feed on pellets when I got her from pet shop.

Price doesn't have any impact on quality. The best foods are high fibre pellets such as Supreme Science Selective, Excel, Allen & page and Oxbow. You need to switch foods very gradually though over a week to 10 days.

Tam

I'd recommend pellets definitely. Rabbits can get selective with a mix and only pick out their favourite bits, whereas a pelleted food is the same throughout. This doesn't mean they love it any less - mine go bonkers every morning when I put down their pellet bowl! :lol:

I feed mine on Excel, and I agree with Tam, price isn't always an indicator of quality, it's the high fibre and low protein you want. :)

AMETHYST

Mix can cause buns to get fat or selective feed, so pellets are considered better. People have mentioned Excel causing sticky buns before, but you could try Allen & Page or Science Selective? Changeover needs to be done over course of 10 days ortherwise that can cause sticky bums too! So can too much veg/sudden diet change/not enough fibre (hay/readigrass)

Mine are all on high fibre pellets and as said above there is no selective feeding with them. A balanced healthy diet.

00Geordie said:
Thanks folks just needed advice so I get it right right away next time.

That's what we're here for! :D It's so great to see more rabbit owners who really care about what's best for their bunnies. And we're all still learning from our rabbits and from each other! You never stop learning as a rabbit owner! :lol:

AMETHYST

Back