• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lionhead

00Geordie

Warren Scout
Breeder has been in contact and has promised me a other Lionhead when theres more kits. I still partle blame myself for get getting Smoky to vets for health check and taking him when he was not eating a lot. Now thers a big hole in heart :cry: . But there one thing when get other one be off to vets for health check after rabbit settles in for a couple days.

Aww sorry to hear about other bun :- (

Could you not get one from a Rescue though? There's tonnes of Lionheads on RR

I would strongly advise against getting another rabbit from the same breeder. It sounds like it was sick before it went home with you. A breeder should never have rehomed a rabbit with a poorly eye.

Unfortunately a vet check after you've got the rabbit doesn't mean it won't be sick and you'll have to pay for expensive treatment and you could be setting yourself up for another heartbreak.

If you want a healthy rabbit the best option is to go to a rescue. The vet check before you adopt the rabbit. They often have babies in too so don't be put off if you don't want an adult rabbit. Although they have their benefits too, a rabbit that's 4-6 months is still young but they are less prone to gut problems like a bbaby and by that age many rescues will have vaccinated and neutered them - a big saving for you.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

You can often get babies and young bunnies in rescues - two of my six were under 10 weeks when I got them (China was only 6 weeks - too young :-().

If you go to the main homepage by clicking the Rabbit Rehome button above, or going to www.rabbitrehome.org.uk, you'll find the rescue pages and you can search by age, area, sex etc.

AMETHYST

Thanks I check links out. just I think getting a young one but get to watch them grow up and develope wher bys a adult one will be all ready set in it ways.

00Geordie said:
Thanks I check links out. just I think getting a young one but get to watch them grow up and develope wher bys a adult one will be all ready set in it ways.

- Adults can change too. My Rex was a biting 2 year old when i got her. A year on & she is one of my friendliest!

A baby will hit hormones at 4-6months old & change completely, at least with an older bun, you get what you meet at the Rescue.

Plus if you get a bun from a rescue they may well have already been nuetered and had their vaccinations. Plus you get to give a rabbit a home that really needs one!
And I second that about adults changing too - its wonderful getting a rescue rabbit they may have been shy or even agressive and watching it become trusting and learning how to have fun :D

00Geordie said:

I totally understand where you're coming from, but trust me, getting an adult is just as much fun! I have had rabbits from as young as 6 weeks (China) to as old as 3 years (Benny). Benny is actually one of the biggest characters I own, and I certainly don't regret not having watched him grow up - in fact I feel a far bigger sense of satisfaction having rescued him and given him a life far better than his first 3 years! :D

Also, as several people have already said, you have the advantage that they're already neutered and vaccinated, which saves you a fortune! Also you can generally bond the bunnies very quickly after the new bunny has settled in, whereas with a younger one you need to keep them seperate until they can be neutered, then they have to recover from the op (a good few weeks) before you can get down to bonding them.

And as we've already said, if you really REALLY do want a young one, plenty of rescues still have them - unwanted pets after just a few weeks, babies born in the rescue centre etc. :)

AMETHYST

Spacegirl said:
And I second that about adults changing too - its wonderful getting a rescue rabbit they may have been shy or even agressive and watching it become trusting and learning how to have fun :D

I'd like to third that! :D Rocket especially was a heck of a feisty guy because he was so scared, but having bonded him with China he is now really settled and a very happy guy! That is SO rewarding. and yes, they do change beyond recognition when they hit their hormonal stage anyway, so you'll end up with a totally different rabbit! :lol: Miles was 10 weeks when I got him and he went from a quiet, shy little fellow at 10 weeks to a crazed nutter at 6 months who jumped on everything, destroyed everything, and generally was a little hellraiser! :lol:

AMETHYST

00Geordie said:
There is some lovly ones on there if only ther was some in my area I be tepted.

Don't forget the bunny runs! :D Basically if there's one you would like and they are available, we can club together on the forum to arrange transport to get the bunny to you. :)

AMETHYST

Sounds a good idea is it costly to cover peoples petrol & time.
I might contact them and see how you go about rehoming one.

00Geordie said:
Sounds a good idea is it costly to cover peoples petrol & time.
I might contact them and see how you go about rehoming one.

We are all stupid & do it for free :shock: :wink: :lol:

Personally, If I had the choice, I'd never adopt a baby bun, Course they're gorgeous & all that .. but you have to go through the awful teen stage, and they still grow up to be set in their ways - ways you may not like! Older bunnies can change, and with love and care they do, and turn into loving family pets. Well done for looking for a rescue bun instead of a breeder :D X

Back