• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Fur fur everywhere: Dyson or Sebo or Miele.... ??

podlet

Warren Scout
Hello all,

Now that we have our third baby bun in the house, we are just covered in fur and poops and hay bits!

I've seen some threads about the Dyson Animal that people seem to swear by, and I think I once read a post by a chap on the forum about his sebo vacuum cleaner...

But before making any purchase, I was wondering if there are any pointers on what to look for in a good vacuum cleaner (watts, nozzles, upright or drag along??) and any recommendations?

Many thanks!
podlet (and Binks, Poppy and Zoot), xx

Yes Sally I did - I thought it was going to be about which one of Dyson, Miele and Sebo has been fighting and leaving fur everywhere :lol:

I have a dyson animal and our carpets changed colour the first time I used it (black cat fur had dulled all the carpets!) I don't know how it compares to the other two brands though. I think you need to get the upright version for it to be any use, I don't think the cylinder ones don't have the same spinny-sucky brush bit on them, or if they do, I've heard it's not as effective.

I too thought it was the rabbits names! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I thought how strange they had been named after vaccum cleaners!

Kate x

I have the Dyson Animal and it changed our carpet in our previous flat from white (Miffy fur that was impossible to remove) to GREEN!! I'd highly recommend it, it makes housework a doddle!

AMETHYST

If you are going to buy any vacuum make sure it is an upright..as Alison has already said they have stronger suction.
The Dyson animal is exactly the same as the other Dyson models except it has a little brush for upholstery and used to come with a pack of carpet cleaner.....depending on which one is on offer in the sales just get one with brush control and antibacterial filters....the little brush and cleaner can be bought as an extra and sometimes works out cheaper to buy this way as the animal is very rarely on offer!..(I used to work for Comet which why I'm a dyson geek! :oops: ) and Remember salespeople in electrical shops are on commision..and it isn't based on turnover..different products have different amounts they can earn on them..so beware a salesman pushing a certain item!
by the way nice to see you back on...and how is the lovely Poppy?
:D

honeybunny said:
the little brush and cleaner can be bought as an extra and sometimes works out cheaper to buy this way as the animal is very rarely on offer!

Oh yes thanks for saying that! I forgot to mention we got ours on a very good special offer, so it's worth keeping an eye out for those!

AMETHYST

:lol: :lol: I thought they were great original names for rabbits!!! :oops:
I bought a vacuum just the other day but cos I have laminate I got a hand held one. Miele don't do a bagless which is what I wanted although the sales woman did give me a very comprehensive explanation of them so I do feel somewhat of a pro when it comes to Miele! :roll: Definately get the highest wattage you can as all vacuums lose suction over time and the higher you start with the more you'll have, I'm not that impressed with Dyson, several of my friends have had them and they've had problems with them. Never heard of Sebo, I got an electrolux in the end - which came with a free football!................ :?:

Once knew a dog named Dyson..... for obvious reasons, he was a sod!! I too thought it was the names of the rabbits and just assumed they hoovered up all their food!! :oops:

chloaster said:
:lol: :lol: I thought they were great original names for rabbits!!! :oops:

I think we all did! :lol: They would make pretty good names too! Dyson, Sebo, Miele, Hoover... Maybe not Electrolux... :lol:

AMETHYST

I love my Dyson Animal, but like the others have said, it's not that different to the other Dysons. They have the yellow Dysons on special offer in Sainsbury's at the mo.

I have a Dyson animal DC08 cyclinder and was bemoning how rubbish it was the other day until some kind person pointed out it has two filters - the button label had rubbed off the lever for opening the top and I didn't realise the main filter was there - only knew about the Hepa filter :oops: once I had cleaned the other filter up I could read the writing on it that said clean every six months - I have had it two years :oops: ! Now it is better than ever!

The turbo brush is best for carpets so if you have a mainly carpeted house go for an upright otherwise struggling with the turbo brush round the whole house is a pain. I used to have no carpets and had issues with the the hard-floor button staying in but now I have 50-50 it is even more fiddley and refused to stay in so I rang Dyson up and complained and they sent me a new style head (comes with all the newer models), which has a button with a proper click so once you push it it stays shut until you pull it back open even if you knock it against a wall or lose suction (kinked hose etc).

I have heard Sebo and Bissel are better than Dysons but at the moment I am happy with mine and the customer service was excellent.

Caz

I love my Sebo K1 cylinder, would never buy any other! Used to have an upright Electrolux for pet hairs - good for two months and then it pretty much died on me.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gosh! i didn't even think that my subject line would have come across like that... what a giggle tho and definitely options for next bunny names :lol:

thanks for all the useful feedback -- definitely going to go for an upright one and look for the highest wattage... maybe the decision will turn on the best deal i can get? will definitely try not be swayed by salespeople and their commission sells tho...

Lee, xx

honeybunny said:
by the way nice to see you back on...and how is the lovely Poppy?
:D

Hi Jill :wave:

Thanks for asking bout Poppy -- she is doing well, altho I do so worry bout her.... She never shows any visible signs (watering eyes, drooling) of needing a dental, but we take her in on a regular basis. Each visit she comes back with fewer teeth (cos they just fall out and are completely loose in their sockets)... wondering if i will soon need to be mushing up her pellets for her??

Just before her last dental, she was tugging and pulling out patches of fur which had me completely bewildered, but that stopped after the dental it seems...

She has always been a really timid bunny, and is getting really brave these days, coming up for some love, cuddles and nose rubs... :love:

She really is our precious bunny girl :love:

Lee, xx

Back