• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Science Selective- has it changed?

Nicola3

Mama Doe
Hello Fwiends,

Tis good to be back after Crimbo hols. Happy New year to you all and your bunnies.

I am getting a bit worried that Science Selective has changed their pellets. The reason I ask is that the last 3 bags of it I have bought, the pellets have been a different colour, a very light pasty green, as opposed to the usual dark green colour and the pellets have been very very hard and dense, whereas it used to be very crumbly and easy to break up. SS is the only pellet Harv will eat now but this last batch he has been unable to eat due to it being so hard. I also used to use it as a liquid feed as it used to be really crumbly and easy to mush up to syringe to poorly buns but these pellets do not mush up easily.

I really really hope they haven't chnged it to theses denser pellets as Harvey is not able to eat them.

Has anybody else noticed a change in the pellets or is there just a weird batch of it around at the mo?

Love and hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Oh it's not me going mad then! Yes I agree with you they seem to have changed colour & size.. My rabbits are still eating it but they don't seem to enjoy it quite as much.. My little bun Molly leaves some of her ss now before her bowl would be empty, she just loves her vegs though ..

Oh no....I really hope it's not a permanent change as Harvey my dental bun is not able to eat them and SS is all he will eat.

He used to love the darker crumblier pellets but the new ones are too hard for his teeth.

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Write to the company which makes SS and tell them what you think. If enough people write they may have to change back ... worth a try.

mine are all the same, perhaps it was just a 'dodgy' batch :?

actually didnt someone say they had probs getting hold of ss, maybe they had a problem and had to recall some?

I agree, it may be worth getting in touch with the company :wink:

Hiya Fwiends,

Have phoned the company and a man is calling me back.

If needs be do you think people on the site would sign a petition or some thing similar if I have to write to them and back me up on this?

Am worried as it's the only food Harevy and the dental buns will eat. Also the old pellets used to be really easy to much up into a paste to syringe to poorly buns but these new pellets are too hard.

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Try soaking tthe pellets before mashing.

I stocked up before christmas so haven't noticed a change. You do seem to get the occational bag thats a bit different tho.

Tam

Hello,

I have tried soaking the pellets but with these new pellets it's just that more difficult to mush up, they are so hard and brittle, totally different to the usual dark green crumbly pellets. My main concern is that Harvey my dental bun will not eat these harder pellets and he won't eat mushed food. SS is the only food he will eat. I hope this isn't a permanent change and that I have just had a dodgy batch.

Hugs,

Nic and Harv xxx

Nicola3 said:
Hello,

I have tried soaking the pellets but with these new pellets it's just that more difficult to mush up, they are so hard and brittle, totally different to the usual dark green crumbly pellets. My main concern is that Harvey my dental bun will not eat these harder pellets and he won't eat mushed food. SS is the only food he will eat. I hope this isn't a permanent change and that I have just had a dodgy batch.

Hugs,

Nic and Harv xxx

I had a 10kg sack a few weeks ago that were different. But the 2 sacks I got just before Christmas are now back to normal... :?

Perhaps the cook had the oven turned up too high!!

Janex

Hi fwiends,

Have just had a call back from one of the managers at Supreme. The gentleman has told me he is aware of the fact that the pellets are of a denser nature but has reassured me that they will soon be back to normal. Apparently it was due to the raw ingredients used and that the manufacturer was not set an optimum density for the pellets. He is aware that the latest pellets are very dense but they will soon be back to their normal consistency and has asked us all to bear with them. He has said it is not a permanent change, which I am very relieved at as my dental buns are unable to eat the latest batch and I know many other people have experienced the same probs.

Love and hugs,

Nicola, Harvey and the rescue buns xxx

Please note that it is possible that the quality of the actual ingredients has changed between the last batches and this current batch.

We have not been notified that the recipe has changed so it must be down to the seasonal change in ingredients.

So no need for everybody to panic just yet.

I know I was very impressed too. I even got a helpful email after my conversation on the phone:

Hi Nicola,

Thank you for your e-mail and it was good to talk to you earlier today.
I feel it is essential for any company to have a good relationship with their customers and I welcome any feedback - good or bad.
Thank you for your understanding with regards to the density of our Science Selective Rabbit, and I can assure you that I am currently in discussion with our production team with regards to the manufacturing of the product. As discussed, the issues raised are not the result of any formulation change, as it is simply raw material variation from crop to crop. We shall be making adjustments to our machinery to amend this issue and new stock should be within the market place very soon.

Please do feel free to contact me any time with your comments and feed back.

Kind Regards

Nick

He basically said on the phone that it was because the machinery that produces the pellets was not set on a maximium density so that the pellets came out more dense than they usually are.

Very helpful gentleman :D

Hugs,

Nicola and Harvey xxx

Back