• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

help please

domino

New Kit
Hi my name is Linda I have 5 rabbits they have all been spayed and neutered I noticed Daisy was making a little noise I didnt think much of it thought she was trying to comunicate.
This morning it seems she is either grinding her teeth or she is snuffly she has a white face and her fur around her nose is grubby so maybe she has a cold(do rabbits get colds)she is obviously feeling under the weather as she is at the back of her cage but she is eating.

Barnicals is also unwell she wouldnt eat today(very unusual)I tried to temt her with her fav treat but she wouldnt have none of it.It always happens on a bank holiday.I went through my bunny med box and found some Bio-Lapis which she has taken over the day mixed with her water she was very still but took the water mix from me if I put the bottle near her mouth I did this every 2 hrs throughout the day she hadnt poo'ed I was about to phone emergency vet when hoorah she produced a bit runny but she must have felt better as after I washed her bot and dried her she ate some food.
Seems like she had a tummy upset could anyone please tell me do rabbits have 24-48 hour upsets or could this be fatal which I have been told Im very worried now. thanks for taking time to read this.
regards Linda

Hi Linda,

Sorry to hear of your bunny troubles :(

Rabbits don't get cold like humans. They do get something called pastrulla (also known as snuffles) which has similar symptoms. This will need antibiotics to treat. Teeth grinding tends to be a sign of pain it might be the snuffles has flared up because she's under the weather for something else. It would be a good idea to get the vet to check her teeth and they can get over grown and cause problems.

Not eating is quite serious in bunnies because their guts are design to be on the go all the time. You did all the right things though, keeping her feeding and drinking. Hopefully the poop will now be followed by more and she's over the worst. If not as you've probably guessed a vet trip is in order. Different things can trigger the problem e.g. eating something unusual or even just stress.

Best wishes,
Tamsin

Hi,

I would phone the emergency vets, as diahoerra is very serious in rabbits.

They don't get 24-48h bugs or colds. The cold type symtoms you were describing could be snuffles, which is a respiratory infection, which needs treating asap.

The bun who is not eating or pooing needs to be seen be a vet tonight as he may be in GI stasis, which is very serious and can be fatal if left without treatment.

Hope your buns feel better soon,

Nicola

Back