• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What do i do??? UD Wed PM - help??

Dobbin

Mama Doe
First of all - Happy New Year.

Chris my OH took a phone call from a friend of his earlier, she has a rabbit but brought it on a whim - she no longer wants it. It is only 4-5 months old. She wanted to know whether we would take her or she will have her PTS tommorrow or take her to a rescue. I feel in a posistion - i certainly would NOT want her PTS but what do i do? She has phoned another friend of hers as well but she was far from keen - Chris told her we would talk about it and contact her back.

I dont know what to do - i have not seen her or anything - we did not know she had one. We know she is not spayed but we dont know about vaccinations, she was a house bun - well i gathered she wanted her as a house bun but she expecting her to just be trained and not chew anything and behave with putting no time into her - :evil: :evil:

I am very pleased that she phoned us and asked us for help and i guess i know that we will take her because i can't get her out of my head already but what do you think?

Do i take her and hope she will bond with Dobbin?? (There is a very nice lady on here willing to help me - Thank you) I can go and buy another hutch and run tomorrow to keep her seperate from Dobbin although i dont know where i would keep her for a while!!!

Sorry to be a nuiscience.

Sue
xx

Why on earth would someone PTS a perfectly healthy bunny because they can't be bothered any more :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Take her. Even if it's only temporary, you could foster for a while.
Maybe a dog crate would be better than a hutch, as I believe they fold down when not in use? You could keep her and Dobbin in the same room, as long as they are kept seperately,and that way they would get used to each other and make bonding a little easy after she is spayed?

Your not being a nuiscience asking for advice about rescuing a bun :D

I would go get the bunny, this is how I got Trip and Scarlett and I wouldnt be without them now.

And it would be even better if she did bond with Dobbin, but think about the possibility that she might not before you decide anything. Could you keep them seperate if they didnt get on?

If you dont decide to take her your friend doesnt have to have her pts :shock:

I would take her if I were you Sue :D You were looking for a friend for Dobbin anyway weren't you? and she's not far off the age when she can be spayed. If you can keep them separate up until she's been done and Dobbin's hormones have died down then you should be fine :D

This is almost an identical situation that I was in the other day. I took the bunny, so now have Twix and a new addition of Biscuit. We are still not 100% certain if we will keep Biscuit, it depends on if he bonds with Twix or if we will foster until a suitable forever home can be found. Chances are we will keep him anyway, he just seems to fit somehow! For the time being, he is being treated with love and kindness. Just what any bunny needs.

:x That is one pretty nasty threat and I sincerely hope that no Vet worth it's salt would pts just because the owner wanted that done due to lack of interest.

As others have said, weigh up the pros and cons of taking this bun on (although the alternatives do not bear thinking about - she sounds like the kind of person that may let it loose to be fox food should no Vet be accomodating :cry: )

Personally I would take the bun if there's a good chance it will get PTS otherwise.
Where are you in Kent? If you're anywhere near me I have an indoor cage you could borrow if that helps and I would be happy to help you with bonding.
If it turns out you can't keep the rabbit then I'm sure we would be able to sort something else out.

I can't bear the thought of anything happening to her.

Thank you for all your kind words.

We are looking for a friend for Dobbin but we did not expect it to happen this way.

What should i get for her to live in for the time being, as cheap as possible? (Skint after xmas!!)

Where would she live? Conservatory would be to hot wouldnt it? Also i am hoping that would be the bonding room!!!

Sue
xx

Sue, does the current owner have any kind of cage for this bun at the moment or is she 100% free range? If she has a cage I would insist that she give you the cage with the rabbit - even if it's rubbish, it will stop her from filling it with something else and will give you something to use in the interim.

I agree, I would also take her, and hopefully she will bond with Dobbin over time. If she doesn't, I'm sure we can work together to sort out getting the lovely girl a brilliant new home xxx

space girl - Thank you very much i may well be getting back to about cage - Thank you.

All elp is hugely appreciated with Bonding - it would obviusoly be easier if they bonded - i dont think i could let a bun go once i am used to her!!! (Does that sound stupid?)

I think i know i have to take her even if it is just an interim.

I will find out about a cage or someting - will get back to you all on that!!

Thank you for all your kind offers it has brought a tear to my eye how nice and thoughtful everyone on here is.

Sue
xx

AlisonA said:
Sue, does the current owner have any kind of cage for this bun at the moment or is she 100% free range? If she has a cage I would insist that she give you the cage with the rabbit - even if it's rubbish, it will stop her from filling it with something else and will give you something to use in the interim.

I agree, I would also take her, and hopefully she will bond with Dobbin over time. If she doesn't, I'm sure we can work together to sort out getting the lovely girl a brilliant new home xxx

I was just about to suggest the same thing about asking the current owner to give you their cage if they have one - it would stop them going out and getting another poor animal to fill it :evil: :( After all if she's asked you to take the bunny then she should at least give you all the equipment she's got to make it easier!

I know you're worried about the bonding, but it will probably be much easier than you fear! Try not to worry. :D

Although this has come as a shock to you, and you can't put her with Dobbin straight away, this might turn out to be the perfect bunny for you. And if not, I'm sure the perfect home can be found.

I hope no decent vet would put a healthy rabbit to sleep either. I can't believe anyone would have the nerve to even ask a vet, to be honest.

Sounds asthough this is fate, perhaps this bunny is meant for you. Alot of my loved pets have come from situations like that. Aww Im all excited for you. Cant get over the owners whim purchase :evil: Hopefully as said the owner may have a crate or something for her :D

I'd take her, she may or may not bond with Dobbin and you may or may not fall in love with her, however, she'll be safe and you can foster her until you find her a new home. Get the cage if you can, if not I'd get a dog crate as cheaply as you can off ebay etc and put her in the conservatory, it won't be too hot in there for now.

Let us know what you decide :D

kayjay said:
I'd take her, she may or may not bond with Dobbin and you may or may not fall in love with her, however, she'll be safe and you can foster her until you find her a new home. Get the cage if you can, if not I'd get a dog crate as cheaply as you can off ebay etc and put her in the conservatory, it won't be too hot in there for now.

Yep agree :thumb:

Otherwise, perhaps you could tell your friend to take her to a rescue.

Also, Id have a check that she is defiently a girl, as otherwise you'd have to wait for a male to be neutered before introducing them.

Ok well she is not answering her phone now - athough Chris has text her. She says the bunny lives in a cardbox that she brought her home in!!! Other then that she has run of the house, we did politly put in the text is she sure about giving her away i dont want to get attached to her and then she come back and say she has changed her mind!! (Does that sound awful?)

so it looks like a need to get a cage, hutch or something. Thing is our house is not bunny proof so that is not suitable - Dobbin has run of shed and i dont want to start locking him up, dont really want her out in the elements. Do you think even with the sun shining in the conservatory would still be ok?!

I have said we will take her but as yet she has not responded to the text!!!

I hope i am doing the right thing!!

Sue
xx

Back