• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How big a cage?

buddabun

Warren Veteran
I have had it with my buns... I can no longer let them roam free all day as they are trashing the attic (it's rented as well) SO have decided to buy them a cage/hutch. They will still be indoors in the attic but I really can't afford to keep restaining the floors and patching up the holes in the walls that they've excavated (calling as an archaeologist perhaps?)

What sort of size cage do you all reccomend? I have an indoor cage at the moment which is supposedly the right size for one and was ok when Charlie was a baby but is ridiculously small for one rabbit let alone two (bearing in mind they've had free reign of a 3x4m attic).

I'm thinking perhaps a 2/3 storey wooden hutch but I don't want to spend all that money and have it be too small...

Any ideas/offers? Will trawl eBay but I don't really have a clue as to what I'm looking for... cue you guys!

*edit* It would also need a solid floor (not a hutch with adjoining run) as they would just mess up that particular square of floor which, granted, is an improvement but I doubt the landlady would see it that way...

Im about to start looking for a large cage, when my girls are spayed they will be inside for a little while.

I was thinking about a large dog crate or something :?

How about one of the large dog crates you can get on ebay? They are 48" and because they are tall too you could add tiers to give the buns more room to explore - there was a thread on here with a load of them on but I'll be jiggered if I can find it - sorry.....

that's a good idea! am worried that they would dig up and eat the lino (they do like to chew) and would flick hay etc out of the dog crate. I did consider a crate for a while but because the mesh is so large I was worried that they would make jsut as much mess.... Definitely worth considering although I'm tempted to get something with one of those slide out floor trays for easy cleaning.

Will have a look at that other thread though thanks.

Thanks Mandy I was just thinking I would rather do something like that. They would prefer that :D

I can section of part of my bedroom for them and put down lino and vetbed

You can get a 48" dog crate from ebay (new) for less than £40. If they do throw their bedding out then its easily swept up - at least they can't destroy the room! And, as said, you can add extra shelfs etc to make the most of the space. Perhaps you could attatch your existing indoor cage to one of the openings to increase the space?
And if you got some cheap off cuts of lino then it wouldn't matter if it got ripped up eventually and you had to replace it.

Spacegirl said:
You can get a 48" dog crate from ebay (new) for less than £40. If they do throw their bedding out then its easily swept up - at least they can't destroy the room! And, as said, you can add extra shelfs etc to make the most of the space. Perhaps you could attatch your existing indoor cage to one of the openings to increase the space?
And if you got some cheap off cuts of lino then it wouldn't matter if it got ripped up eventually and you had to replace it.

i wasnt worried about the cost!!! will obviously have to save up but a few bits of lino aren't going to break the bank I was just worried that it would be bad for them but i suppose if they're eating walls that's not exactly good roughage either!

I might go for one of those modular run things where you buy X number of panels and whack them together and just get some lino or something for the floor...

My indoor buns have a dog crate, they are put in overnight or if they need to be kept out of the way (for example when I had building work done). Due to space its not the biggest available ( I think its 42") but hubby put in 2 shelves and its great for them. If you are worried about them kicking stuff out, I put their hay in a plastic storage box and use a high sided litter tray, that works fine. I'll see if I can find a piccie :wink:

buddabun said:
Spacegirl said:

i wasnt worried about the cost!!! will obviously have to save up but a few bits of lino aren't going to break the bank I was just worried that it would be bad for them but i suppose if they're eating walls that's not exactly good roughage either!

I might go for one of those modular run things where you buy X number of panels and whack them together and just get some lino or something for the floor...

No, I didn't mean it like that! No offence intended. :D

I have just bought a 42" dog cage from ebay, I also have ordered a play pen, cost me less than a hutch and is less smelly, the wood has gone a bit rotten and I have only had it 5 months. They buns much prefer their new home. CAGES ALL THE WAY!!!!
Tracyxx

Spacegirl said:
buddabun said:
Spacegirl said:

I am of course DEEPLY offended!!! Hubby is not impressed by any of the ideas I have suggested so far (all yours of course) but am very tempted by a dog crate although I am no DIYqueen... he's told me to wait a week and see then... meanwhile the buns are tearing up the house lol. never mind! Thanks for all your suggestions guys - you always give me great advice when I need it - RU rocks! :thumb:

buddabun said:
Spacegirl said:
buddabun said:
Spacegirl said:

I am of course DEEPLY offended!!! Hubby is not impressed by any of the ideas I have suggested so far (all yours of course) but am very tempted by a dog crate although I am no DIYqueen... he's told me to wait a week and see then... meanwhile the buns are tearing up the house lol. never mind! Thanks for all your suggestions guys - you always give me great advice when I need it - RU rocks! :thumb:

mine have a 48" crate with pen (although you could easily pit 2 or more crates together :wink: i am not very good at DIY but i followed the guide on here and it came out fine :D :thumb:

I just posted a reply in the "what do I do?" thread about how I made my buns cages from a shelving unit type thing from argos. (I bit like the NIC condo's in the US). At the time, I was using a couple of lino mats for the floor, but now Twix is just on the dining room floor, which I have the pleasure of cleaning everyday, lol!

Here's a pic:

IMG_7081.jpg

If you have a room for them and looks aren't an issue, I'd probably cover the floor in a large bit of lino then get a normal out door style rabbit run and put that on top. Stick ir in the middle of the room with a a foot of lion extending out the sides and that should stop them pulling in up to eat and make cleaning easier.

Tam

You can buy floor protectors from Wilkinsons stores. They are abou £3 a roll and made from thick vinyl so easy to vacuum and hose down plus you can cut them to the size you need.

I will be putting one as flooring in marleys new indoor run.

I've got a 48" dog crate for the girls to sleep in, it was off ebay £39.99 plus £8.99 p+p. Its huge, i'd definately recommend them.

Back