• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding....

hi, I know there are loads of posts on bonding and I have read lots but its still useful to get peoples opinions on your own situation!!! I posted earlier this week to say I had a boy come in and had picked up his girlfriend from the rescue a few days later and they had bonded well. However the following morning the girl had trashed the bathroom (no biggie, I found it quite funny, however OH was threatening to use her as a loo brush!! :oops: ) and "she" was humping "he" quite determinedly in my way. So I picked "her" up. To discover that she is in fact a "he". Fab. Anyway, retrieved an empty hutch from a friend so the new rescue bun can reside there until he is neutuered next week then he can stay there until his hormones die down.
So that left me with a new boy on his own. He was neutuered about a yr ago so I brought in one of my girls and bonded them which was fine. He went out in the run today and met the 2 boys and although there was a bit of scrapping generally its been ok.
But does anyone have any suggestions for how to minimise distress for bonding the other boy in when he is able to go in in 6 weeks? Should I try him in a carrybox in the shed first so they can get used to him that way? OR try bonding him to the other boys on neutral ground???? I thought the girls would be a problem, but I think the boys are a bigger prob!!!
Any suggestions welcome!

bonding

Hello

I am new to the forum. My only suggestion is that you rub the coat of the bunny who is on his own and then rub your bunnies coats who are together so that they are used to his scent. Then you can try them together on neutral territory and under close supervision for short periods at a time.

I hope this helps.

:? Bunnymaid

The girls have always been the bigger problem for me! :roll: I think the best thing to do is like you said get him neutered and give him time for his hormones to calm down, then just introduce them in a neutral place and make sure where they will be living is cleaned thoroughly so there is no territorial issues. Once introduced though, don't split them up even if there are a few scuffles as each time you put them back the whole intro starts again - they need time together to establish a hierarchy and then to settle and get used to living together.

Back