• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long for new rabbit to settle in

00Geordie

Warren Scout
How long do it take for a new rabbit to settle in to new home as got a lionhead baby of 10 weeks and looked to settle in right away as he eat all the food I give him plus the feeding hay the same day I got him. But now he just picks on at his food. And when I say picks on at food I mean not realy eating enogh to feed a mouse never mind a rabbit. and I have tryed him on my pellets plus mix as well the food I got giving off the breeder. And to day I went and got him some proper mix for baby rabbits so I just hope he starts eating eating that. He will eat lettage ok but that only good in small amounts. This is the only rabbit that I have had this problem with and I had rabbits all my life.

I think it depends on the bunny. My girls both took a few weeks to settle in completely but my boy Trip had pretty much made himself at home in a couple of days

Are you feeding him the same food he was on before you brought him home, if you have tried to change it too suddenly he might have just not got used to it. I think you have to be careful with switching food and start with mixing the two different types and gradually putting less of the first one in, does that make sense

Is he weeing and pooping? If I thought one of mine werent eating enough I would get them straight to the vet to make sure they are alright

I am puting in same food he was on before I brought him home but he will not touch it. His poos are soild and weeing is ok. If don't eat fully in next day or so I give vets a ring just to be safe.

Rabbits need to eat fairly constandly otherwise their guts shut down, it's also important not to switch diet suddenly as that can also upset their gut.

Is he eating hay? He may be filling up on that.

The best dry food for rabbits is high fibre pellet. You can find a list of the options here - http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk/care/rabbitfood.asp

At 10 weeks a baby should have fairly constant access to pellets and then gradually reduce that as they reach 4-5 months.

When changing food mix the old and the new over 7-10 days, gradually decreasing the old and increasing the new. Babies tummies are particularly sensitive so gradual is extra important.

If your bunny stops eating then you should contact a vet, doubly so if they stop producing poop too.

Hope that helps :)
Tam

Smoky is eating bits out of his food but not at lot also eats a bit of feeding hay but again not a lot. he is pooping ok and weting ok as I just cleaned him out today. I have tryed feeding him out my hand wish he will take for a while. I give vets a call when there reopen Tuesday as not sure if open tomorrow.

vets will have an emergency number incase you do need them today :D

I would be worried if he wasnt eating much hay either, but I panic loads!

You mentioned that he'd been eating lettuce - this might be causing the problems as lettuce isn't good for rabbits. I would stop giving him lettuce and try him on a small amount of spring greens instead.

Just a thought but if he is only a baby he may have come from somewhere he had to compete for food whereas now he realises he doesn't have to so may be eating smaller amounts but over longer periods as he knows it is his and it's safe - just a though as you say he's still pooing and weeing ok.

I think he cold when I got from breeder as his eye was runny and that could why he was not eating a lot. As for lettuce he only had one & Half leafs two days ago. I thought good as I he was eating bit last night but I got this and found him dieing so that my heart broke twice now. Not happy with breeder at all :x .
Waht a start to new year

I think he should have been taken to the vet if his eye was runny because it sounds like he was probably not eating because he was ill. I dont know if bunnys get colds so maybe someone else will know about that.

sorry but when you say you found him dying, has he actually died of did you manage to get him to the vet on time?

I think Sillyrabbit is right, rabbits don't get colds. It does sound like he was sick with snuffles when you got him and the stress of the move may well have exasperated the condition. I too am not sure from what you said but if he is still with you get him to the vet asap as untreated snuffles can lead to chest infections and pneumonia and you will almost definately lose him then. I'm so sorry you new year has started out so hard. Thinking of you.x

Not died yet just tryed to some fluids in as vets said to do phone. As there said ther was a £80 call out and I'm skint tryed pdsa and would see to him. but to top it all there is no public transport on today not sure if would last till vets anyways. :cry:

Hey - don't give up on him! Is there anyway you can get a lift? You are his only chance of survival so you need to do all you can to get him to a vet and now!

Forgot to say cant u get a lift? or get an emergancy vet to come to you, mine came to my house when I was very worried about malibu a while ago.

You really cant just leave him he doesnt sound well at all, when you got him you took on the responsibility of making sure he is treated when ill.

Im sure if you explain to the vets someone will be able to help you

Back