• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Starr has snuffles - Qu?

chloaster

Warren Veteran
Starr is one of my boys in my group of 13, is there anything I should do or can do that will help prevent the others developing or is it just a case of treating him and sitting tight?

sorry don't know but am curious for the answer and hope he gets better soon :D Twinkle has snuffles too :(

The others may already be asymptomatic carriers/already have been infected so I dont think seperating Starr is a good idea. It will only stress him out. You can boost the others immune system by adding some Ecenachia to their drinking water and by making sure their environment is well ventilated.

Janex

there are approximately 21 different strains of snuffles and some buns , when exposed to some of the strains, never show any signs, whereas a different strain can make them very poorly...this is why a snuffly bun can live with a healthy one without necessarily affecting it's partner.

As Jane has said try to boost the others immune systems..you already feed a good diet and your buns get fresh air .... then it's a matter of keeping a close eye on them...(13!!) Stress can bring on the symptoms, so again I agree with Jane, do not seperate him from his friends.
A higher dose of baytril to normal can sometimes knock snuffles on the head, as always add a probiotic to the drinking water.
Sending him get well wishes! xx

Thanks for that advice guys. I didn't want to seperate him so I'm glad you advised against it. He's on 0.5 baytril x2 a day and I will add probiotic to their water. Their home is well ventilated so fingers crossed he will clear up quickly. Don't worry Mandy, he seems well in himself and is eating loads still! His nose is clearer today too so hopefully he is over the worst of it.

Quick ps - Jane what is ecenachia, is it good for buns and where can I get it? Thought I'd google it rather than ask and look silly but this is what I found!!!

"You know whats sick Echinacea its the worst thing in the world...I have been takin it since friday and its so gross. You drink it and as it goes down it burns man its gross."

Thanks Touie! So if I got some of the tablets would it just be a case of crushing and sprinkling over food? Probably an obvious question but if you dont ask....

chloaster said:
Thanks Touie! So if I got some of the tablets would it just be a case of crushing and sprinkling over food? Probably an obvious question but if you dont ask....

You can get it in liquid form

Sorry, my spelling is TERRIBLE.... :oops:

Janex

chloaster said:
Quick ps - Jane what is ecenachia, is it good for buns and where can I get it?

I know this has already been answerd and stuff but i LOVE herbal remidies!Personally i haven't used any but i'd love to try it out!Chloe if you ever have to use it could i help maybe??!! :shock: :oops:

BTW I used T-Touch on Baxter,i looked on the internet how to,when you came over and it REALLY quiet'nd him down.I did the ear thing stroking from the base to the tip and the circle one.

Anyway!
:oops: :? :shock: :roll:

Amy
xxxx

PS I cant spell well! :oops: :? :shock: :roll: :) :wink: :lol:

Jack's-Jane said:
chloaster said:

Janex

Great!! Where where??? My googling is terrible.... Do they sell it in those herbal shops? Can I just drop it in their bottles? - Obviously I can't spell either cos I can't see what you can't spell!! :lol:

chloaster said:
Jack's-Jane said:
chloaster said:

Janex

Great!! Where where??? My googling is terrible.... Do they sell it in those herbal shops? Can I just drop it in their bottles? - Obviously I can't spell either cos I can't see what you can't spell!! :lol:

:lol:

I think you could get it from boots..not sure.I was told by someone ages ago that its a good place to get it.I'd like to go and look but no-one in my family is into that stuff.So i have never had a look.Maybe we could go together one day?? :oops: :shock: :roll: :D

I think mine is from Boots - make sure you get one containing echinacea purpurae (sp) and not simply the e.angifolia, as it's the purpurae variety which has more of the immune boosting properties. Also make sure that you get a pure echinacea, not a mixture with lots of other goodies. I just put several drops into the water bottle - and my buns love the taste so drink more when it's there too! You should use it for a maximum 2 weeks on/2 weeks off - not because it's dangerous but because it stops boosting the immune system if you use it all the time.

Good luck xxx

Found some! Steph looked in Boots for me but they didn't have so tried Holland and Barett and now have buns with Ecenachia. Never been in H & B before - they sell ............... well everything! Starr is loads better today, yesterday he wasn't snuffly but his breathing was very loud and heavy so was going to take him to the vets this am but he is absolutely fine this am. Just finishing off the course of Baytil and keeping an eye on Jess as I think she may have picked it up.

This may be an illegal question - is there anywhere to get Baytril so I don't have to pay £18.50 to see a vet to get it perscribed each time?

star has snuffles

Hiya :) you don,t have to go down the illegal drugs route :shock: :? you can ask your vet if you can have a bottle of baytril to keep at home (i do this) since the new vet laws came into practice you are entitled to ask for a prescription if your animals have ongoing health problems (think i have got this right) then you can either have your vet supply you or source your drugs elsewere :)

Thanks rabshan -I shall ask tomorrow. I know we do bunny runs on here but I did think illegal drug runs might be pushing it a bit!! :lol: :lol:

star has snuffles

Oi wanna buy some hookey drugs missus :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously though i do know of a woman that goes around trying to sell the illegal drug BICILLIN :shock: :evil: she even started a group to try to get it legalised :shock: :? which quickly folded as no one wanted to be assocciated with an illegal drug group :lol: :lol: she then rang the RSPCA and claimed that i was the one who was selling it :shock: :evil: when i caught up with this awful woman the FUR really flew and it was NOT mine :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Re: star has snuffles

rabshan said:
Oi wanna buy some hookey drugs missus :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:
seriously though i do know of a woman that goes around trying to sell the illegal drug BICILLIN :shock: :evil: she even started a group to try to get it legalised :shock: :? which quickly folded as no one wanted to be assocciated with an illegal drug group :lol: :lol: she then rang the RSPCA and claimed that i was the one who was selling it :shock: :evil: when i caught up with this awful woman the FUR really flew and it was NOT mine :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OMGoodness thats terrible. :oops: :x :evil: I can't believe someone would do that! :shock: Did you have any problems?(With the lady and the drug?)

Amy
xxxx

Back