• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cover's for your run

nicole

Mama Doe
What kind of cover do you have for your run?
Does it keep out the rain?
Does it let sunlight in?
Is it on all the time or just when it's raining?
How is it fitted to your shed?
:oops: :oops: Sorry for all the questions, but I think I'm going to have to buy some rubber matting for my run (6X8 on slabs). My wee Mhairi has just started to get red and scabby hocks. And I think the slabs my be the problem.

The only problem I have is how does the rubber matting cope with getting wet?
At the moment my run is half covered with tarpaulin, I would have to cover the whole run to stop the matting getting wet. But that would stop the sunlight getting in.

Someone please help me. :roll:

My run is covered with 2 tarpaulins to keep the rain and wind out. Its also on slabs but I havent noticed any problems with their feet getting hurt or anything

here is a pic, sorry its not vert good it was taken as it was getting dark!

000_0628.jpg

The whole of the run is covered apart from the side you can see without cover. Its like that during the day and the light still gets in.

Its about 8ft long so if it rains in the day only a tiny bit of the floor gets wet on the uncovered side.

And at night I pull the a bit of the sheet thats folded on the top down to cover most of that side but leaving a tiny bit at the bottom to let air in.

I have 2 big sheets over it though because a bit of rain was getting in with just one.

i dont have a run outside as my bun is a house bun but on the outdoor bun garden which is empty the cage has a perspex screen which am sure you could fix perspex to a run easily.

Would perspex not get really hot in summer?
I had thought of perspex. :D

Will have to put my thinking cap on, thanx for your reply's.

fit it so it can be removed ours on the cage is on like a sliding system with wood so it can just be removed.

not sure if it can be seen from this pic (excuse the mess we have now fitted a new ramp to it)

DSC00784.jpg

cant believe the cage has been empty for almost 2 yrs now!

Mine has clear plastic sheeting over the run and the front of the hutch when it's rainning. One two side of the run are not covered to ensure good ventalation, one is up agains the the wall and the other is sheltered from the wind/rain. I have my old wire PWS type run sides on the top of the run to hold it on and bricks on the top of the hutch.

asked hubby and yes you could get it that size but you would have to go to a glass shop for it not a general hardware shop. He says it wont be cheap though

second thoughts could you not make a wooden frame and fix plastic sheeting to it doubled up - if that makes sense that way it keeps them dry and if you hinge it you could fold it in half.

i know what i mean but i cant draw it out on here lol

Yes know exactly what you mean.

The rain gets in at the sides too, but just been thinking if I covered the whole of the run, Dougal and Mhairi would not be able to see what was going on around them. And thats not fair to them.

I'm just thinking about this rubber matting.

:? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :? :?
Maby I should just buy them rain coats and boots. Hang the coats up and put the boots next to the cat flap, so if they want to go out they could put their rain wear on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

if you built the frame so it would go over the run floor to roof and the plastic was on it and it was clear plastic as you can get the heavy duty stuff in rolls then they can see out and there would be no rain getting in

cazza said:
if you built the frame so it would go over the run floor to roof and the plastic was on it and it was clear plastic as you can get the heavy duty stuff in rolls then they can see out and there would be no rain getting in

Just been looking into that just now. :D :D
That will be a job for the new year.

Thanx for the advice :D :D :D

Hi Nicole

Here's another possibility. Don't know if there are any Wickes in your area but other DIY chains should stock something similar.
I was thinking of using the 'miniprofile' on the top of our run with a slight overhang to provide shelter at the sides. The sheets are 8 x 2 & can be overlapped for a bigger area.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/icat/rspvcroofing

Mike

Pepsi's People said:
Hi Nicole

Here's another possibility. Don't know if there are any Wickes in your area but other DIY chains should stock something similar.
I was thinking of using the 'miniprofile' on the top of our run with a slight overhang to provide shelter at the sides. The sheets are 8 x 2 & can be overlapped for a bigger area.
http://www.wickes.co.uk/icat/rspvcroofing

Mike

Brilliant idea, this has all gave me food for thought. :D

nicole said:
Maby I should just buy them rain coats and boots. Hang the coats up and put the boots next to the cat flap, so if they want to go out they could put their rain wear on. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have stapled bubble wrap around the sides of all the runs for the winter, with a flap that lifts up at the front that can be up during th day. I have pieces of plywood cut to cover the tops to keep the rain out. These are good in the summer too for making shade, you can set them up at whatever angle keeps off the sun best.

Back