• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

update re baby buns (& piccies!)

B

BRACKEN

I have been waiting for the bunnies to leave the nest as they are nearly 3 weeks (see note posted xmas day re this litter)

No sign this morning and then, as I lifted an upside down box to clean out mum's litter area, a baby bunny was sat there. I don't know who was most suprised! He ran out, straight through the 'puppy' run mesh and behind some playroom boxes. I couldn't believe he could fit through such a small slot! I caught him and counted the others and made some quick adjustments to thier run by bringing in another run.

Mum can still sit on her hutch and climb over the back into another small area. Hopefully by the time the babies can do this they will be too big to get through the 'puppy' run mesh so I can give them a bigger area! (Its a small hutch but was my spare and has been set up with the run always open, with a play pen in the conservatory. Mum used it as a base for a nest and used other beds for herself in the playpen)

The babies have all been out, nibbling the food and doing little jumps. Just so sweet! They are not yet brave enough for a group photo. I wish I had a way of telling them apart. They have all sat for a cuddle with the exception of one Very Stroppy one. I couldn't believe he has the lunge and grunt instinct at 2 weeks old. Hmmmm - he is quite big ( I'm assuming its a he!) I think he will need some careful handling and hopefully calm down a bit!? Has anyone else had one like this in a litter? I guess it is the first day of leaving the nest so everything is a bit new.

I think this is him in the photo - all the others had a quick cuddle and went back in the hutch. He ran off and stayed in the run.

Enjoy the pics and happy new year to everyone.

Linda

bunrun.JPG

buntube.JPG

bun3.JPG

babies

There are 7 black rex babies. (see my post in introductions this week for a picture of mum, dad and all babies)

It was an unplanned litter (long story re poor advice on neutering from the vet)

I would love to keep them all but can't go from 2 to 9! From advice given on the forum I am hoping to keep 1 or 2 females and to rebond all together once dad is neutered.

I am just trying to get all the babies to survive ok, I didn't realise how fragile they are at this age. When they are older I will find them good homes (am not going to enjoy that!) I am pleased they have made it this far, particularly the smallest of the litter. I am still not sure if he is going to be ok although he seems fine at the moment. He will just have to watch out for bully boy!

Linda

Back