• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Incisor Removal

I accidentally stumbled across a rabbits saavy vet that said she would happily remove crumpets front incisors. She has never actually done that particular surgery, but she studied in an Exotic Practice for 2 years. She will be performing her first removal on Jan. 13th, so if I do have them out I will be waiting a few weeks.

When rabbits get this surgery is it a bad recovery? Do they benefit a lot from the surgery? Would you allow a vet that is new to the surgery preform it?

All of your opinions are welcomed!

How much of a problem is Crumpet (love the name!) having at the moment?
Squidgy's incisors were removed beause they were having to be clipped every 3 weeks. It was not a problem at all for him to have them removed. His gums were sore for a few days, and we have to make sure his veg is chopped up for him.
As for an inexperienced vet, I'm not sure. Maybe it will mean she's much more thorough and careful?

Crumpet (who is also a tiny nethie boy) needs his teeth down every 2-4 weeks :shock:
It depends on how much hay he munched on, because it is never the same. He get on with poor teeth very well, but if I spend $25 a month on his teeth, that puts a serious dent in the pocket!
I want to trust this new vet, so maybe I'll have a chat with her again before I make up my mind.

Duchess had all her incisors removed because of severe maloccusion.

We used bonjela on her gums afterwards which is used for mouth ulcers and teething problems in humans! Also baytril to prevent infection. It was a bit touch and go with her eating to begin with, so that is something to look out for. They should give pain relief e.g. metacam for the first couple of days as well.

The only risk is that they peg teeth (the little ones behind the main teeth) do tend to grow back as they are almost impossible to remove completely, but these tend to break off when they grow back or can be clipped.

One of Duchess's teeth has grown back as well because all the root wasn't removed. This needs burring back every so often and may need re-removing in the future... But all far less traumatic than regular dentals!

Back