• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

decisions on housing

cazza

Mama Doe
At the moment i have a house bun.
outside i have an enclosed bunny garden with cage which was where my old bun used to be before he went to the bridge.

speaking to hubby he has said i can put a rabbit shed there and get choc a mate.

I am in two minds as she has been a house bun for over 12 mth and is fully litter trained. she has never lived outside

what should i do - in my heart i cant bear to put her out but then would she prefer a mate?

Certainly dont put her out until the weather warms up I would recommend around March/April time if at all. Can you not house two buns inside?

Either way im sure she would love to have a mate.

Suzanne

I've had bertie my house bun for 14 months or so, he's such a spoilt boy theres no way he would live outside now..
4 weeks ago I got Molly from a rescue she's living in the house aswell.
They haven't bonded as yet but hopefully will do when Molly has been spayed. Now if they don't bond :( then Molly will go outside in a poppy house & large run but then she'll need a husband to join her :D
I will have to choose carefully though if I get Molly a hubby because it would just get out of hand if the new one didn't bond..

hubby doesnt want another house rabbit - he says one terror is enough.

we have 2 cats aswell which choc loves to play with and chase.

it would be summer before we did anything but im not sure how she would cope as at the moment she gets lots of attention - i think more than she would outside.

decisions decisions

I had my Nethie, Tinkerbell, as a free range house rabbit for 12 months.

I then got Simba from someone that no longer wanted him and got him neutered. He hated it inside and would just stay in the cage, would never hop on the floor. I bonded him and Tinkerbell and started putting her outside with him in the garden.

To be honest, when she was on her own as a houserabbit, I used to sometimes put her out in the run but she hated it. As soon as she bonded with Simba she absolutely loved it outside and hated it when I brought her in. They now both live outside and are so in love and happy.

BUT, I'm not happy! I miss having her in the house sooooo much. But I know I have to do what makes her happy and being outside with her hubby is what is now best for her.

I never, ever thought she would prefer being outside but I was totally wrong!

Kate x

Pippin was an outdoor bun who came in before fire work night Nov 05 (as did the other buns) the other buns went back out around May 06 when the weather got better, however Pippin got himself a wife and as I didn't have seperate accomodation outside for him and his new bride, the newly weds ended up staying indoors and they are still indoors :roll:

Having sorted out a new des res for them they will be going out around May this year (nearly) 07. Not to have straw trailing around my house will be brilliant and knowing that Pips and Bloss can pop out of their shed and into their run to take the air when they want to will be great.

So I say Yes to going out and getting a friend.

I also spend more time outside now with the buns and less time sat brain dead watching TV. Much more relaxing. Just need to be well wrapped up this weather :)

Rabswood

Back