• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Not eatting. Need advice please.......U/D Home today :)

Lynette

Warren Scout
Rusty ate his food yesterday morning as usual. Gave him his food about 4 then yesterday afternoon and till this morning he hasn't touched a carrot end. Not even one pellet. Tried hand feeding and he keeps putting his head down out of the way.

He does seem a bit quiet in himself, not as lively. But if he was eatting wouldn't think there was anything wrong as such. He has been staying in my room and every night apart from last night he has been very active. Saw him pushing his tunnel around once last night. So not as if he can't move.

I'm at parents for the week and going back to Stoke on Sunday. Can I just take Rusty to any Vets? Should I take him today?

Sorry for all the questions. This is my first Bun and I don't know whether there is anything wrong.

Any advice I would be very grateful for. :)

if he's definately not eaten anything and his tummy is hard i would take him there straight away. Is he pooing?

I don't know if he is pooing. Because its happened so quickly his litter tray hasn't been cleaned. What will it mean if his tummy is hard? :shock:

I've never really felt his tummy and thought about what it feels like.

Can I just go to any vets?

Really worried now!

It's quite important to work out if he's pooing or not but if in doubt phone a vets and explain the situation. If you google GI statis or do a search on here it might help you.

Just got back. The vet didn't really know what was wrong. Put it down to the teeth :? Is it normal for a vet to do that?

Temp, belly and everything else was fine.

Also mentioned that he was weeing outside of his litter tray and she thought it was because we had a dog. The dog never comes upstairs and Rusty hasn't been downstairs and Rusty has been fine all week! So is that the reason?

Just thought i'd let you know what medicine he has had:

Baytril 2.5% injection
Baytril 2.5% injection
Metacam Inject
Electolyte

I have to put some rehydration stuff in his water today. Rusty has never been a big drinker? So what should I do about that. Given it to him and he isn't interested.

Also got to give antibiotics in his mouth tommorrow. Is this hard?

I've mashed up some of his pellets and grated some carrot and given him some grass. But he doesn't want to know. Anyone know how long it will take for the injections to kick in?

Well thats the update any way.

Sorry, just very worried and wanted to say that Rusty just had a massivve runny poo! Is that bad? :?

Just really worried as I love him to bits. Want my baby better and don't know what else I can do. :cry:

Lynette said:
Sorry, just very worried and wanted to say that Rusty just had a massivve runny poo! Is that bad? :?

Just really worried as I love him to bits. Want my baby better and don't know what else I can do. :cry:

I think you need to call the Vet again and say that Rusty now has diarrhoea. Antibiotics, especially when given orally, are a bit risky with a Bun who already has a GI upset. I would think Rusty needs some probiotics such as Bio-Lapis or even better would be Fibre-plex. Hopefully your Vet keeps these in stock.
Teeth problems do cause a Bun to stop eating but from what you describe Rusty clearly has a GI disturbance too

Janex

Right ok. What exactly is GI upset?

Will he be ok?

I will ring the vet now.

Thanks Jane,

Was waiting for you to come onto the forum :)

Ok, Just rang vets and going to pick up some liquid recovery food? and a syringe to give him the liquid hydration. Don't think he'll be happy with that. Any tips on giving them to him. Don't want to upset him. I know its for the best though obviously.

Hi there. Sorry to hear bunny is poorly.

The liquid recovery food is essential to make sure he is getting something into his tummy. Bunnies needs to eat to keep their gastrointestinal tract going and it shuts down quickly if they don't eat.

I would syringe it in slowly, lots of time to swallow it. I would also syringe in some boiled cooled down water. Water usually makes them feel better.
I would still be inclined to give him gentle belly rubs and some Infacol (an infant colic drop that can be bought at Tescos/pharmacist - start with 2ml then a further 1 ml an hour later).

Importantly I would ask the vet for pain relief for him and possible some metaclopramide (to give him at home).

Sorry this is a rushed response but just wanted to get it down whilst you are still on line.

What pellets do you feed him. Some pellets mush down really well with boiled cooled water. I tend to mix in a little baby food to help carry it through the syringe a little better.

Fiona x

Sorry, just realised he had metacam (pain relief) when you took him to the vet. I would ask for a gut stimulant injection (Metaclopramide) to make sure his little guts keep working.

Fiona x

Keep him warm and keep him indoor. If he hasn't eat for 12+ hr., force feed him w/ syringe on non-meat content baby food. 4 - 5 meals, w/ ea. meal about 5 cc. of baby food is fine. Make sure the baby food that you suck in the syringe is very warm by emerging the syringe in hot water for a few minutes.

If he is not drinking water, force feed him w/ water of say 5 cc per feeding, very slowly insert 0.5 cc with a few second pause in between or else the water may get into his lung.

Happy Hopping said:
Keep him warm and keep him indoor. If he hasn't eat for 12+ hr., force feed him w/ syringe on non-meat content baby food. 4 - 5 meals, w/ ea. meal about 5 cc. of baby food is fine. Make sure the baby food that you suck in the syringe is very warm by emerging the syringe in hot water for a few minutes.

If he is not drinking water, force feed him w/ water of say 5 cc per feeding, very slowly insert 0.5 cc with a few second pause in between or else the water may get into his lung.

Can anyone convert cc into mls! My brain doesn't understand c.c.

I think it is good to have some mushed pellets/ recovery mix in the syringe feed as well as baby food. The baby foods I find to be too low in fibre.

Fiona x

Can anyone help. He is now shaking really badly and the vets have said that there is nothing else they can do to help!!!!!!!!

Update on Rusty. Given him some hydration powder with water through a syringe and now some science recovery food. Went down for dinner and when I came back up he was shaking really badly. Rang the Vets and all they said was to give more of the hydration water. Have done that now. Just want to know whether he will be ok, is there a chance he wont? Not very good in situations like this and just getting very upset. At least everyone is here to help.

Lynette,
Please phone another vet. I don`t want to scare you but he is shaking for a reason, it could be he`s going into shock or it could be several other things BUT he needs to be seen again.

Big hugs to you and Rusty,
Su.x

Thanks Su. Need as many hugs as we can get.

He has stopped shaking now and seems a little better. Should I still ring another vet? Wouldn't know who to ring either. The Vet told me that taking him to the vets would do more harm then good and there was nothing else they could give him.

Sorry for all the questions once again.

Back