• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How can I find a rescue bunny in NI?

*Michaela*

Alpha Buck
Sometime next year we are hoping to get two more bunnies and I would like them to be rescue buns. Berri was a pet shop bun :oops: (Before I knew!) and Pebble and Ebony were accidental breeding with the neighbours free roming rabbit :oops: :oops: (don't worry can't happen again)

But I have a problem, I can't find any rescues in Northern Ireland where I live! I have searched everywhere and nothing, there doesn't seem to be many shelters here and the ones that are here only seem to have cats and dogs! :?

Does anybody know of anywhere I could rescue rabbits here? Are there any other members from Norhtern Ireland on here?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! :D

If I can't find any we'll have to get them from a breeder, but I'd rather rescue.

Hiya,

Try contacting local vet practices, they may know of smaller rescues that don't advertise themselves much or they may have strays themselves.

Have you asked the ISPCA if they know of any rescues in your area or other cat/dog rescues. They may have a list of contacts they refer people to.

I guess there is always a ferry/plane trip ;)

Tam

Thanks Tam, although getting them from England is totally out of the question, my mum isn't going to pay for that when we can get bunnies here :roll: , even though they aren't rescues. I will keep looking anyway! :D

Perhaps you could try looking in your local paper, or your equivalent of these kind of sites:

www.freeads.co.uk

They wouldnt be rabbits from a rehoming centre, but sadly many people advertise their pets on here when they no longer want them, so you would be rescuing them :(

Audrey, the brown rex in my siggy came to me this way, as she was being advertised 'free to a good home' :roll: because her child owner had grown bored of her.

Some of these poor rabbits desperately need help out of these homes :(
Obviously a lot of the ads are breeders but they are fairly obvious so easy to avoid.

I bet if there are no rabbits rescues in NI many of them end up advertised in places like these.

Good luck in finding a bunny xx

Thanks Mandy
I look in the papers every week, just to see if they have rabbits, usually they don't though, just dogs. I have saw notices up in pet shops though, I don't look on the notice boards a lot, I'm just thinking of that now, could be an idea! :idea:

Mandy your rexes are beautiful, I have a black rex too, Berri, she's in my sig. I'd love another rex, and thats a big problem with getting them from the paper or wherever, it's unlikely that I'll find a rex, or a Netherland Dwarf which I'd love too. :)

I have the same problem. Im in the channel islands and the only rescue here told me that I couldnt bring Malibu in to choose a boyfriend and they wouldnt help with bonding :(

Also my vet said the only thing I can do is ask them again, they didnt know of any strays or small rescues.

And I keep looking at all the bunnies on rabbit rehome and I want one of them :(

The only rabbits in our local paper are babies for sale :roll:

i know someone who does rescue in NI on another forum, i will ask her and get back to you hun :wink:
what sort of timescale are you thinking of?

Well it won't be until next year, not exactly sure when, probably sometime between April and Summer, I know that's a bit away yet, I'd have them sooner if I was allowed! Where abouts in NI is she?

Thanks so much for this! :D

:oops: :oops: :oops:
how much of a liar am i?
she is in east galway not NI :oops:
they do take in other animals at risk, i will ask her where they rehome to next time she is online :wink:

East Galway isn't that far from here, a few hours maybe, I'm not sure exactly, but it's unlikely my dad will drive there for rabbits :?

Thanks anyway though. :)

Back